Fried Athlon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried Athlon?

Have anyone actually managed to kill their Athlon? 1.9V was said to be OK, is this true? What's the max Vlimit I should push my cpu to? (FCC32 cooled)

------------------
    Athlon 500/MSI 6167/128mb/7200rpm/SB128/G400Max/Win98/RH6.0
    Athlon 800@1GHz/MSI 6167/256mb/7200rpm UD66/SB128/G400Max/Win98/Win2k/RH6.2/Be5

I haven`t heard anyone that has fried their
    prosessors .

Personaly I have tried 3 different Athlons @ 2.05v ,one from week 27 and two from week 42 and no problems att all.

Gatto

Comment

Frying processors from overvoltage is pretty rare actually. There have been rumors around that the athlons are "Weak" (see: Dell's reason why they're not carrying Athlon's) compared to P3's, but I'm not sure how much stake you can put in that.

I'd try the pxr in another board if you can. If it's still dead; well, i'd cry for a while, and then blame something like static or severe overclocking without cooling.

Usually the problems with overvolting and overclocking appear while they're in the OV/OC state, and then go away once you set the thing back to its specs.

Of course, both overclocking and overvolting can cause silicon stalactites and stalagmites to form, leading to less tolerance and 'fusing' of silicon paths as well as arcing within the chip. (Pretty nasty sounding, huh?) ... Which is even more critical with these smaller and smaller die sizes.

So damage can be done but usually you notice lockups and what not before it's irreversible.

Even damage by static is kind of rare. Before suspecting any of the above i'd make sure the dang thing is seated correctly. I've had more "Dead processors" turn out to be just fine due to bad connection.

------------------
      Ami Y. Koriuchi - foxyviolet@hotmail.com
      Asus P3BF 1003.A - P3-500 - G400Max
      256MB 6NS - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

Hello... my name is ami. and this is my signature.

Ami Y. Koriuchi - MY EMAIL IS DEAD

SYSTEM1
      Asus K7V266 - Athlon XP 1800+ - GeForce 4 TI 4600 128MB -
      1024 MB PC2100 DDR -
      200 GB UDMA100 7200 RPM - 60GB LVD 160 10K RPM

SYSTEM2
      Asus A7V133 - Athlon 1.4 - G400Max
      768MB PC133 - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

HI SOMETiMES I GO AWAY FOR LONG TIME AND COME BACK YEARS LATER HI!

Comment

It's not dead =)... Far from, actually. I was just curious how far I can push it. I have it rock stable at 650 with 1.8V, and i was kinda thinking of trying 700 but then i need to increase the voltage even more. I guess atleast up to 1.9V is OK then?

------------------
        Athlon 500@650 Rock Stable (500 Core, 4ns)/MSI 6167/128mb/7200rpm/SB128/G400Max/Win98/RH6.0

Comment

Hamlet,
          I haven't seen a "fried" (thermally) Athlon... but have seen damaged ones. The damage is caused from chipping the edge of the cpu where it meets the heatplate. This cap is the substrate which the core itself is... the chipping actually fractures through and permanently damages it. This is easy to do and please if you consider mounting a HS directly to the cpu be very careful.

Don't go above 1.9v! Also using a better cooler than a FKK32 would be essential in possibly achieving higher results.
          I'm in the process of building two super HS setups.

I have a MASSIVE HS that'll be cut down to custom fit Athlons (WAY bigger than a VOC32 or an Alpha) and the other is a water cooled system using a transmission cooler (radiator) mounted in the top of my InWin Q500-300A full tower. Later I'll be adding some Peltier's to both setups.

PH,
          "Of course, both overclocking and overvolting can cause silicon stalactites and stalagmites to form, leading to less tolerance and 'fusing' of silicon paths as well as arcing within the chip. (Pretty nasty sounding, huh?) ... Which is even more critical with these smaller and smaller die sizes."
          This is called "intrinsic growth" and is associated with migration of various metals causing electrical shorts. Yes it is very nasty, but cpu's don't seem to be effected by this as much as RF circuits used in communications eq.

------------------
          Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.
          Anyone up for an Athlon800+? Email me (epc@netdirect.net) for more information

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency w/ active cooling
          CPUmark99 75
          FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41, Athlon@850mHz

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Ok, but below 1.9 is usually OK?.. I'm not that big OC junkie to mount a fridge on my machine, so i think the FCC32 will do for me for now =)... only sad thing is that i havn't found any software that can use the sensors on the MSI6167 board (if there is any) so that i can see the temp on the cpu.

But, it runs as said rock stable at 650mhz with a standard cpu fan. I just switched to the FCC32 recently, since i wanted to try 700, but it worked just as well with the standard fan at 650. Well... gonna try 700 soon then.. 500 core suxx... =(

Comment

Uhhh...Greebe, why is above 1.9v bad? Don't forget about me.....
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Greebe, are you saying that keying up my Nextel i1000 next to my CPU won't make it go faster?!

*phz

SYSTEM1
                1024 MB PC2100 DDR -

SYSTEM2

Comment

Cute=fiZi
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I would assume that above 1.9v is bad because it's just plain too high. As voltages get lower, well, smaller increments are bigger deals... Back when things were 5v, such small increments wouldn't matter. but these days... things are much more specific.

That's my guess. Don't fry any CPU's on that.

SYSTEM1
                    1024 MB PC2100 DDR -

SYSTEM2

Comment

It's just that I'm running @ 1.95V
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

As PurpleHaze said:

Frying processors from overvoltage is pretty rare actually. There have been rumors around that the athlons are "Weak" (see: Dell's reason why they're not carrying Athlon's) compared to P3's, but I'm not sure how much stake you can put in that.

Then how much voltage can a P3 take?
                        Or how much can the new coppermine stand?

------------------
                        INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
                        G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
                        SBlive
                        128 MB RAM CAS2
                        19GB HDD Space! (6.4+13 quantum drives)
                        Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
                        SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                        X