Hub or Switch for DSL access?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hub or Switch for DSL access?

I plan on ordering DSL within the week and I was planning on wiring my house with an 8 port 10/100 BaseT hub. I will usually have only 3 comps accessing the DSL and the LAN, but there is the possibility of up to 6 or so at any given time. Would a hub serve my purposes or should I go with a more expensive 5 port switch? I am not entirely sure what all a switch does differently than a hub is why I mount this question.

Hi !
    Hub is a multiport repeater which just delivers same data to all ports while every port of switch behaves like a small bridge (lets through only data ment to devices behind the port). I Think hub should suit to your purposes. But of course you can use switch too ...

J.
    -J-

Comment

I think you should get the switch. They are only about $10 more than the hub.
      I have this one & it works very well.
      http://www.linksys.com/scripts/featu...p?part=feswsk5

chuck

------------------
      ABit BF6, Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, Princeton EO75, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I have some friends that have DSL and 3 computers hooked up to it. They normally use an 8 port 3Com 10/100 hub, but when I brought over my 5 port Linksys switch and hooked everything up to that they were shocked that there was a very noticable speed increase.

So the point is, a hub will work, but a switch will work faster. So if you can find a good price on an 8-port linksys, d-link or 3com switch, buy it. Just my opinion.

Jammrock

------------------
        Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I agree with chuck. You should get the switch considering the small difference in cost between the two. I have the same Linksys switch that chuck is using and it performs very well on my cable modem network with 3 PCs attached to it. Good Luck!

Cheers!

------------------
          ABIT BH-6, Celeron 300A @450, 128MB RAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, US Robotics 56K modem, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

[This message has been edited by Manex (edited 03 March 2000).]
          ABIT BF6, P3-600E FC-PGA @800, 128MB Crucial 7ns SDRAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

Comment

Bottom line is:

Hub = Shared 10Mb, Half Duplex Connection.

Switch = Dedicated(10Mb per PC0 10Mb Sometimes Half or Full Duplex(and your NIC has to support it).

Switch will be much faster if all three computers are transferring large amounts of data(ie; more than 10Mb at a time). Personally, it is still much faster than Internet access so getting a hub would be much cheaper.

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I bought a D-Link DFE-910 kit, which included a 5 port switch and two NICs. After rebate I paid $90. Even if you don't need the NICs, you're basically getting them for free with this kit.

I you need more ports, buy two kits and uplink. I bet it's still cheaper than an 8 port switch.

Now that I think about it, where's that rebate check?
              PIII 500e @667
              Soyo SY6BA+IV
              Iwill Slotket II
              G400 32MB Max
              Nokia 445Xi 21"
              and POS 14"
              Aureal Vortex Superquad
              256MB PC133
              IBM DPTA 20.5GB 7200rpm
              Toshiba 8/40 DVD

Comment

Working...