Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XCOR Lynx updates (aeroshell final, under construction)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XCOR Lynx updates (aeroshell final, under construction)

XCOR background info:

XCOR Aerospace has been in the aerospace business since 1999. They're headquartered at the Mojave Spaceport just down the tarmac from Virgin Galactic and their specialty is re-usable liquid fueled rocket engines.

A big project is a joint-venture with Boeing to develop a very low cost 30,000 lb-f/30 kilo-Newton 2nd stage liquid hydrogen engine for boosters that could easily be scaled way up. They have also developed a reciprocating piston liquid hydrogen/oxygen pump that could further cut booster costs by replacing the very expensive turbo-pumps currently in use. Lots of interested parties for that one.

Then there is the project that is starting to get a lot of attention, and customers for when it flies - the Lynx suborbital spaceplane. Lynx is on one hand like SpaceShipTwo, and on the other hand very different.

SS2 - Lynx comparisons:

SS2 is 60ft/18.29m long with a 27ft/8.23m wingspan.
    Lynx is 30ft/9m long with a 24ft/7.5m wingspan

SS2 is launched from the White Knight Two mothership at 50,000 feet.
    Lynx takes off directly from the ground, requiring a very short runway.

SS2 uses a hybrid solid/liquid engine; rubber fuel, nitrous oxide oxidizer.
    Lynx uses 4 re-usable liquid rocket engines; kerosene fuel, liquid oxygen oxidizer.

SS2 carries 6 passengers and a crew of 2.
    Lynx carries 0-1 passengers and a crew of 1.

SS2 passengers will pay $200,000 at first
    Lynx passengers will pay about $100,000 at first

SS2 passengers will be able to de-seat and float around and look out through portholes.
    Lynx passengers will have to remain seated, but the cockpit has a panoramic view.

SS2 can only fly from spaceports with a runway capable of handling White Knight Two and refurbing its hybrid engine
    Lynx can fly from short runways, and the fuel/liquid oxygen handling can be done using a portable cart.

SS2 can carry internal experiments and mount external micro-satellite size payloads.
    Lynx can do the same, but it can also launch small orbital satellites from a Dorsal Pod on its back, or even carry small telescopes for missions like NASA's Sophia flying telescope - but much higher.

These missions are not theoretical - they are sold missions and Lynx is very, very real! They have contracted for several US and numerous overseas flight centers, loads of NASA flights, payload missions and satellite launches and at least 1 telescope flight.

I look at that dorsal pod and the word "laser" just screams aloud

They are also working on a larger, orbital, Lynx-like vehicle that will also take off from a runway, but using a fly-back booster.

Pics below with appropriate labeling -

Flight profile animation
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Lynx spaceplane

Lynx cutaway

Lynx cockpit cutaway - payloads

Lynx with Dorsal Pod

Lynx launching satellite (or ??) from the Dorsal Pod

Lynx with telescope in Dorsal Pod
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 July 2011, 13:59.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Prepping for test flights later this year -

Flight Global....

reveals Lynx test schedule

Spacecraft designer Xcor has revealed details of a plan to achieve first flight of the Lynx Mk1 later this year and to expand the suborbital market far beyond space tourism.

First flight for the Lynx already has been delayed by two years after XCor discovered a deep stall problem with the original Lynx design. That issue has now been overcome through design changes to the wing, allowing Xcor to begin final assembly within a few weeks.

The first major piece of structure - the fuselage of the Mk1 version -- will be delivered to Xcor the week of 16 January, said Andrew Nelson, chief operating officer and vice president of business development.

Next month, Xcor will tender work packages for building the cockpit pressure vessel and strakes in February, with delivery of the two subassemblies scheduled in April in May, said Khaki Rodway McKee, the Xcor programme manager.

Roll-out of the Mk1 is scheduled in July or August from Xcor's hangar in Mojave, California, she said.

Taxi tests are scheduled to begin in October or November, which will be quickly followed by a short hop and finally a brief first flight by the end of the year.

The Lynx Mk1 design will be limited to flight tests. For commercial operations, Xcor will roll-out a Mk2 version about nine months later with two major changes. The Mk2 aeroshell will be made with different material that is easier to maintain in the field. Secondly, the metallic liquid oxygen fuel tanks on the Mk1 will be replaced by a non-flammable composite material, McKee said.

Finally, a Mk3 version of the Lynx is still being designed. It will introduce a 3.4m-long, circular payload pay mounted on top of the fuselage. The added feature will allow the Lynx to launch satellites weighing up to 650kg into low-earth orbit.

Xcor has discovered the Mk3 will require more extensive design changes than first thought. The landing gear must be strengthened and aerodynamic effects may drive the designers to make tweaks to the outer mould line, Nelson said.

As first flight approaches, Xcor also has released a detailed market projection for its new product. Company officials are seeking to break the popular notion that suborbital spaceflight is aimed solely at the space tourism market.

Tourism will account for less than 10% of the roughly $6 billion "addressable market" Xcor anticipates for the Lynx by 2015, when the company envisions a growing fleet launching into space several times a day.

Another $1.1 billion in yearly sales is projected for launching payloads, as well as $1.4 billion in revenue for launching small satellites. Xcor also projects a $2.8 billion market for vehicle and equipment sales to third parties, including the possibility of selling the rocket engine to the United Launch Alliance as a replacement for the Pratt & Whitney RL10.
    (RL-10 is an old reliable upper stage engine that needs updating. XCOR has experience with innovative rocket engines designed for high reliability - and they have lots of experience with methane fueled engines, which could be very, very useful for fuel depots and Mars)
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Interesting concept...
      (but IMO it looks ugly... )
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

More than a concept - XCOR is a very experienced outfit who's very serious about Lynx and using it as the jumping off point for a runway-launched orbital system. They already have spaceport deals for everwhere from S. Korea to Dubai, and payloads from NASA to the Planetary Science Institute (the Atsa Suborbital Observatory.)

They're going for function over form - a hallmark of bossman Jeff Greason. If there's a creative successor to Burt Rutan he's it.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 January 2012, 08:36.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

From the Spacecraft Technology Expo

- Mk. I fuselage delivered

- Planning first flight at end of 2012 or early 2013

- Mk. II has composite LOX tanks, which enables apogee increase to >100 km

- Mk. III can support external payloads, such as telescopes or nanosatellite launchers

Cockpit simulator for Lynx Mk. I -
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 May 2012, 18:13.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Again from Space Technology Expo. Looks like the wind tunnel work Greason talked about made for major changes.

Prettier now VJ?

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Rapidly ramping up to production

ATK made the solid boosters for the Shuttle, and will make the solids for the upcoming NASA Space Launch System (SLS) Saturn V-class rocket. They are also a major ammo and munitions maker for militaries, and a builder of aerospace structures.

Mojave, CA (SPX) Nov 15, 2012 - XCOR Aerospace has issued the initial phase of a two-phase contract to ATK's Aerospace Structures Division [NYSE:ATK] for the detailed design and manufacture of the Lynx Mark I suborbital reusable l

XCOR Announces ATK as Lynx Mark I Wing Detailed Design And Build Contractor

XCOR Aerospace has issued the initial phase of a two-phase contract to ATK's Aerospace Structures Division [NYSE:ATK] for the detailed design and manufacture of the Lynx Mark I suborbital reusable launch vehicle (RLV) wings and control surfaces. This announcement represents a critical milestone in the march toward assembly, test and entry into commercial service of the Lynx.

"This partnership with XCOR will provide unique insights and innovations," said Andrew Jackson, vice president of ATK's Aerospace Structures Division Launch Segment.

"ATK is honored to continue our heritage in creating composite manufacturing solutions for spaceflight and excited to engage in this commercial environment with XCOR."

"As an established industry leader it is only natural that XCOR sought to work with ATK as a key collaborator in the development of Lynx wings," said XCOR Chief Executive Officer Jeff Greason.

"Our engagements with ATK impressed me from the start, not only due to their position as a leader in the industry, but through their immediate grasp of the unique challenges we face in the construction of Lynx wings. The story of Lynx is the story of sound design and reliable engineering. We could not be more thrilled to work with ATK."

XCOR Chief Operating Officer Andrew Nelson added that "until recently NewSpace companies and established aerospace primes like ATK often had minimal interaction with companies like XCOR as the subcontractor.

With this effort we are establishing a model of how smaller NewSpace companies may utilize established government primes as our suppliers; ATK has demonstrated they are nimble, cost effective and can leverage deep experience from prior larger projects."

The initial wing and control surface design has been developed by XCOR to rigorous design standards to enable the craft to perform tens of thousands of flights to and from suborbital altitudes exceeding 100 kilometers.

ATK will create a detailed design ready for manufacture, working with structural and flutter analysis experts from Quartus Engineering in San Diego, Ca.

The wings will be installed on the Lynx Mark I, which is the prototype of the Lynx family of suborbital RLVs from XCOR; the production models are called Lynx Mark II.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 November 2012, 06:48.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Frontal view of the updated Lynx aeroshell. FTA (flight test article) under construction.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The last piece they were waiting for after some delays caused by a wing redesign....

XCOR Aerospace Receives Lynx Mark I Cockpit

Vehicle Integration Commences

09 April 2014, Mojave, CA – XCOR Aerospace announced today that the XCOR® Lynx® Mark I cockpit has been delivered. AdamWorks engineers, along with XCOR engineers, performed several successful pressure tests before it was packed and shipped to XCOR .

The cockpit is the principal major subassembly XCOR needs to begin assembly of the Lynx suborbital spaceplane.*

“The successful pressure testing of the Lynx cockpit and its delivery is a major milestone for us,” said XCOR Founder and CEO Jeff Greason. “This will enable us to accelerate toward integration, ground testing and first flight over the rest of this year.”

Andrew Nelson, Chief Operating Officer of XCOR added, “Our clients and partners are very happy to see this significant sign of progress.* I could not be more happy with our designers, engineers and team who have worked so hard on this major accomplishment. We are that much closer to suborbital operations.”
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The wings should go on soon. They've been out getting custom high-end winglets from a contractor.

https://twitter.com/XCOR/status/519988805122539522

@XCOR

We always knew there would be a day when we could see a spacecraft forming in our hangar. Today is that day. #XCOR pic.twitter.com/CuyKoZIhKl
                    1:36pm - 8 Oct 14

Also,

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

And XCOR will sell you a Lynx of your very own.

XCOR DEVELOPS LYNX SIMULATOR IN PARTNERSHIP WITH PROTOBOX LLC AND AIR FORCE RESEARCH LAB

November 16, Mojave, California XCOR Aerospace announced today that it has completed work on its Lynx simulator system, built by Protobox LLC in conjunction with the Air Force Research Lab (AFRL) at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio.

This simulator will provide XCOR invaluable training as the test pilot team prepares for Lynx flight test.

Dedicated aerodynamic modeling of the vehicle in the LAMARS (Large Amplitude Multi-Mode Aerospace Research Simulator) at AFRL (Air Force Research Laboratory) in Dayton, Ohio has provided XCOR with valuable insight into Lynx spacecraft performance and handling qualities. said XCOR Chief Executive Officer Jay Gibson. As a result, we contracted with Protobox to provide an in-house version of the simulator at XCORs Hangar 61, in Mojave, California.

AFRL-developed modeling and simulation software, including a Government Open Source Image Generation (IG) software package known as SubrScene, was integrated into a mockup Lynx cabin and nose at Hangar 61. Protobox provided integrated flight and engine controls, along with a representative pilots instrument panel. Four 80, high-resolution LCD screens that mimic the pilots expected field of view throughout the mission profile provide a 180 degree field of view. A control station behind the simulator can create many different flight scenarios. It also has the ability to alter a variety of vehicle performance parameters that will help train the crew in hypothetical emergency situations.

Besides validating the simulation model of the Lynx vehicle, writing operational procedures and performing flight test rehearsals, our pilots are giving feedback on the pilot vehicle interface (PVI) during their flights in the simulator. Through this, engineers can optimize the interface design based on true pilot insight and simulation experience.

The sim is a great asset and has awesome graphics, remarked XCOR Experimental Test Pilot Harry Van Hulten. I thought I was flying an F-16 test mission in the skies over Mojave and Edwards AFB again. This will significantly accelerate development of modelling and simulation and operational procedures.

XCORs Experimental Test pilot Harry Van Hulten in the Simulator

The simulator was made possible through a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) that allowed XCOR test pilots and engineers to utilize AFRLs unique simulator. The LAMARS is maintained and operated by the Aerospace Vehicles Technology Assessment & Simulation (AVTAS) Branch of AFRL. The day-to-day maintenance and operation of the LAMARS simulator is supported by Protobox LLC, which then built XCORs in-house version.

We look forward to further collaboration with AFRL, AVTAS and Protobox. This is just the beginning, Gibson noted.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks for reviving this thread over the years
                        It's a good chronology to look back upon.

edit : And in an old thread like this, the picture links are still there, unlike many other sites old threads.
                        DR, are the pics stored on Murc locally ?
                        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

My images are mostly on an outside server, but some are on company servers.

The Lynx I testbed should start flying early next year after some delays to rework the wings. Lynx II (passenger) should be operating out of KSC, SpacePort America, possibly the Houston Spaceport and facilities in the UK, Sweden, Dubai, Singapore and South Korea. Perhaps more. Lynx III's will have a dorsal pod for a small class satellite launcher.
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 November 2015, 15:07.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                          X