Whew! Hot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whew! Hot!

One of our cyclical hot/humid summers thanks to allthe water around here.

Today: (actual/heat index)

98°F/110°F - 37°C/43°C

A friend was doing his roof and says the temp up there was 137°F actual (58°C)
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Same situation here.. am I ever glad we have the AC at home. In my old house it could never keep up, in this new one, no problem
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Its pissing it down with rain here, and in the low teens.
      Set to be like this for the next week. We needed the rain anyway

Its funky that that far north you're having such high temps. Its cooler in Mexico City I think
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

We go through this every 5-10 years. It'll be OK for a few, then we have a cold summer or two, then we have a heat wave. Radio said back in 1936 it was 104ish for a big chunk of July.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

So year by year, is this planet getting warmer?

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
            Its pissing it down with rain here, and in the low teens.
            Set to be like this for the next week. We needed the rain anyway

Its funky that that far north you're having such high temps. Its cooler in Mexico City I think
            You do know we are somewhat further south than you are.. right?.. Toronto is a around 43degrees North.. somewhere around the same latitude as between Rome and Venice
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

But we have the Gulfstream that keeps us good and cosy
              Without that we would probably have the same temps.
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                One of our cyclical hot/humid summers thanks to allthe water around here.

Today: (actual/heat index)

98°F/110°F - 37°C/43°C

A friend was doing his roof and says the temp up there was 137°F actual (58°C)
                Pretty much the same here BUT without aircon because of the power shortage. In my office, it rose to 36.5° yesterday, probably higher today. I cleaned all the dust off my CPU heat sinks, to help keep the 'puters working.

However, these temps are not exceptional

All time record high 43.8 °C on 1.8.2010 Coldest night on record1 0.4C on: 29 Dec 2006
                All time record low -1.2 °C on 1.2.2008 Coldest day on record1 2.7C on: 01 Jan 2009
                High heat index 51.9 °C on 28.8.2006 Warmest night on record1 33.0C on: 02 Aug 2010
                Low wind chill -3.9 °C on 19.2.2008 Warmest day on record1 40.4 C on: 31 Jul 2010
                Record high dew point 36.1 °C on 2.8.2006 Record high temp current month 43.1°C in 2010 on day

Record low dew point -14.0 °C on 10.7.2006 Record low temp current month 16.6°C in 2006 on day 6

Record high rel. humid. 100 % on 27.12.2010 High temp this month to date 39.9°C on day 10
                Record low rel. humid. 7 % on 9.7.2007 Low temp this month to date 16.4°C on day 5
                Coldest night this month to date1 20.6C on: 05 Jul 2011 High heat index this month to date 44.1 °C on day 21
                Coldest day this month to date1 27.5C on: 01 Jul 2011 Low wind chill this month to date 16.4 °C on day 5
                Warmest night this month to date1 29.3C on: 11 Jul 2011 High rel. humid this month to date. 77 % on day 20
                Warmest day this month to date1 34.8C on: 10 Jul 2011 Low rel. humid. this month to date 24 % on day 10
                Last edited by Brian Ellis; 21 July 2011, 22:45.
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

We've been over 100F (38C) every single day of July so far, and no relief in sight.

OTOH, we do have a working 60,000 btu ac, so my hat is off to Brian.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yeah, this AC is similarly sized but had to be serviced this year - was almost 1kg low on coolant due to a leaky hose joint outside. All fixed now
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

AC units have been dropping like flies here.
                      We went a day without a couple of weeks ago because all this constant running overheated a marginal electrical connection at the outside power cutoff for our compressor.
                      Becky and ChooChoo spent the day in the basement, where it was relatively cool, waiting for the WAY over worked technician.

PS, The technician found that the last guy to work on ours had OVER filled the unit by about that amount. Took it down to the correct level and the compressor doesn't have to work nearly as hard to cool the house.
                      Last edited by cjolley; 22 July 2011, 06:10.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I spent the last 10 days in SE Spain. Daytime temps averaged 28C and that was plenty. We avoided putting the AC on (due to the cost), plus the humidity is pretty low there so sleeping from about midnight was ok.

I gather they had a heatwave just before we got there. Very glad I missed that!
                        FT.

Comment

Outside it's just touching 10°C (the time is 20:04) and during the night it drops to around 5°C.
                          Although two days ago it maxed out at 15°C at noon ....and it's raining on and off...
                          and i'm currently sitting in southwest Greenland (around 61°N)...hoping for better weather next week...
                          Laptops: ASUS G750JM: Intel Core i7 4700HQ, 8GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Nvidia GTX 860M, 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 1 x WD 750 GB HDD, 17,3" FHD Screen, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
                          ASUS Vivobook S400CA: Intel Core i5 3317U (1,7-2,6 GHz), 8 GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Intel HD4000, 1 x 500GB HDD, 14" touch-screen (1366x768), Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Comment

Forecast today 40°C with heat index over 45°! Still no air conditioning! Government resigning!
                            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                              We've been over 100F (38C) every single day of July so far, and no relief in sight.

OTOH, we do have a working 60,000 btu ac, so my hat is off to Brian.
                              Ugh, don't remind me. Seems like everyday we hover around 104-105F.

Our AC is struggling to keep the house cooled off, so it's comfortably warm in here. I have my suspicion that it's not the right spec for the amount of area it needs to cover (a half-vaulted ceiling in the living room doesn't help. I imagine we'll be replacing it even if it doesn't die one us come cooler temperatures.
                              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
                              X