Chevy Cruze diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy Cruze diesel

http://www.detnews.com/article/201'1...to-sell-in-U.S.

Diesel Cruze to sell in U.S.

50 mpg compact set for showrooms in '13

General Motors Co. will bring a diesel version of its top-selling Chevrolet Cruze to the U.S. market, the Associated Press reported Monday.

The diesel Cruze, getting about 50 mpg, will help GM meet more stringent federal fuel economy standards and rival the gas mileage of popular hybrid cars such as the Toyota Prius. The 2011 Prius gets an EPA-estimated 51 mpg city and 48 mpg highway.

The diesel-engine Cruze won't hit showrooms until at least 2013, according to the Associated Press, citing two people briefed on the product plans.

GM officials declined to comment.

The diesel Cruze would be built alongside gas-engine models of the Cruze at GM's factory in Lordstown, Ohio. The plant is currently running on three shifts to meet demand for this popular Chevy compact.

The Cruze, whose base model starts at $16,525, sold 25,000 vehicles in June, beating out the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord to become the U.S.'s top-selling car.

"I couldn't think of a better way for GM to capitalize on the momentum that Cruze has created for GM by adding a diesel," said Dave Sullivan, an analyst with AutoPacific Inc. in Ann Arbor.

Diesel engine cars generally cost more than those with gas engines because they are more expensive to produce. U.S.-based automakers have been reluctant to bring diesel engines to the U.S. for fear that people wouldn't pay extra for them.

GM has several diesel-powered cars in other parts of the world, including a 2.0-liter, four-cylinder turbocharged diesel Cruze that's selling well in Australia.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 July 2011, 16:14.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Why wait so long.?? The motors are mostly already being used in Europe / Australia...
    paulw

Comment

2012 line changeover is set and starts in a few weeks, and 2013 changeover would be 1 year from then. Between they'll have to tool up an engine line locally, get emissions clearance from EPA and California (different standards) etc.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The GM diesels come from Opel in Germany similarly as Ford Europe sells Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo + people carrier variants with diesel.

One reason why not more diesels are sold in USA is that different states have different regulations on exhausts and it's expensive to certify a diesel for all states. This is why also it took VW a while to bring some diesels there. Although US would benefit from diesels as commutes are long and diesels have good torque.

What is it with Chevy branding lately: They have branded everything from Corvette to Cruze to Aveo (Daewoo Lanos), Lacetti (Daewoo Nubira) to Niva (Lada Niva) as Chevrolet.

Here Cruze diesel costs about 15.000 Euros which is cheap (The price of about midrange VW Polo, entry Golf. Though for same money you can get Ford Focus or Opel Astra.)
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 13 July 2011, 02:11.

Comment

Some of the states in the US require Urea injection in the exhaust iirc to reduce the pollutants in the exhaust fumes. I think it has something to do with the standard of the diesel in the US.
          Its also why Mercedes and others can't bring their best performing Diesel engines to the US.

NOx emissions in the US are 1/8th of the EU.

the big challenge is limiting NOx (Tier 2 regulations in the US are 0.05 grams per mile of NOx, which is â…› of the 0.40 limit in the European Union
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

In years past there was also an availability issue with diesel - suburban, residential and smaller town gas stations often didn't have it, just stations near freeways, farming & factory areas and truck stops etc. Now that's far less of a problem.

The Chevy rebranding was part of GM's reorganization. By reducing the number of divisions they reduced their overhead and cut unprofitable badges. Brands like Saturn, Saab, Hummer, Daewoo and Pontiac went bye bye and they consolidated down to Chevy, Buick, Cadillac and GMC in N. America.

Buick was kept in spite of relatively low N. American sales (~110k) because of its popularity in China - something that dates back to 1906, and being a major Chins player starting in the late 1920's. Buick sales there were 1,034,000 in 2010. Go figure.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 July 2011, 08:06.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I hope Saab will be able to restart production with new owners (Spyker, Chinese), they're cool, two of my ex classmates drive them. Here Chevrolet Aveo is the cheapest new car on the market and Chevy brand is positioned below Koreans (Hyundai, Kia).

What kind of gas do you have over there in terms of octanes? Here it's 95 and 100.
              Last edited by UtwigMU; 13 July 2011, 09:20.

Comment

Ranges from 87 to 100 for gasoline and about 110 for E85 (85% ethanol.)
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Your common three are 87, 90 and 93. Anything above that is generally considered specialty gas and is very expensive and hard to get (depending on the area). 87 octane here is $3.40 gal right now, 100 octane (one brand carries it in my area) is double that.

Don't think I've ever seen anything between in the public space, just 96 octane at a race track. Thus the "limp wristed fairy liquid the Americans call petrol" comment on Top Gear.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

What about that Ford truck that is the most popular selling vehicle in USA and in the World? Is that diesel or petrol?

Comment

F-150 which is usually gas, but heavy versions with diesels are pretty common around here.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 July 2011, 02:13.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

In Sweden its 95, 96, 98, When "unleaded" first came out it was 93 but nowadays everything is unleaded and 93 is gone...
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

We used to have here 2 star, 3 star and 4 star. Much like in the UK at the time.
                          Now, all I can find locally is 95, 95-E10, 98, all unleaded.
                          Both my cars need 98 to run properly. its at 1.54 Euros atm, and going up.
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

Vehiles are all now flex-fuel, running on 87 gasoline up to E85.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

New ones are maybe lol

Comment

Working...
                              X