Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 not shutting down...

Yo!

I've recently installed Windows 2000. Works fine, no problems... except that it does not shut down the computer when I tell it to shut down. It worked on previous betas, but not anymore. Any ideas on why? If I want to switch of the PC, I have to press reset and then power off. It's starting to get to me...

I'm not sure what the problem is, although it may have something to do with power management(??). Anyway, I experience the same thing on my dual-boot Win98SE/Win2K setup. Win98SE will shut the computer off. Win2K leaves me at a screen that tells me that its safe to turn off my computer now. Then why doesn't it do it, hmm? LOL.

------------------
    Ace
    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

You must enable advanced power management support in the power options, under the APM tab.

Comment

I don't seem to have an APM tab under Power Options. No I don't know why, since I've had this working on previous beta's as well as under Windows 98. Kinda spooky...

Comment

Broken:

I had the same problem. I had all power management disabled in my BIOS. After enabling and rebooting, Win2k now turns off my PC after Win2k has finished shutting down.

Comment

Broken

...mine did the same thing after installing that dell sblive file. i know it was this because i've since done a fresh install of win2k with exactly the same software, leaving the ms publisher wdm driver alone. everything is running real fast and smooth.

if you suspect power management, first install the support tools from the support directory using "setup". then run "apmstat.exe" from the command line....

chucky

Motherboard: AMI MegaRUM II, dual 600Mhz Pentium III processors (installed), each with a 32/512 Cache configuration. 512 Mb of PC100, 8ns memory. Symbios Logic 53C896 U2W SCSI controllers. Intel 443GX Xeon chipset.

SCSI I/O:

Channel 1(LVD/U2): 4 Seagate LVD Cheetah 18LP, ST39103LW Ultra2 Wide SCSI-3 hard Drives, each with 1024k cache.

Channel 2(SE): JAZ 2GB internal, Plex-Writer 8/20, Pioneer DVD-303s ultra-scsi DVD reader and 2 UltraPlex-Wide 17/40 speed CD-ROM drives.

USB: USB Zip Drive, Epson Stylus Scan 2500, Intellimouse Explorer

Networking: The network adapter is a 3Com 3C509B-TX PCI 10/100 Mbps controller, and a US Robotics Courier V.Everything 33.6/28.8/x2/V.90 internal ISA modem.

Video: Matrox G400 Max with Dual Head. The primary display is a Panasonic PanaSync E21, .25-dot pitch, 20" viewable; the secondary display is a Viewsonic flat panel display model VP150.

Multi-media: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live PCI Bus Mastering sound card. Speaker system is the Cambridge Works FPS2000 Digital speaker system.

Comment

i have the same problem, i just ran apmstat.exe & it says that my pc is a acpi machine & apm is not relevent on this machine, so how do i get the option ?.

Comment

tuco

according to resource kit documentation..(1700+ pages), it can only be done during setup...reliablely. however if your feeling brave goto device manager and change the driver for the "computer type"...select "acpi uni-proccessor" , you know the rest of the drill.

good luck!!

chucky

note: make sure acpi is turned on in the bios, and TURN OFF any countdown timers!!! in the power management section

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 27 February 2000).]

Comment

have just run the setup again, pressed f5 & chose standard pc. apm now works although apmstat still says i have a acpi machine (device manager now says standard pc), but who gives a monkeys nutsack when apm option is back.

Comment

When you have apm enabled does hibernate work?
                    On my pc i can't have apm/Acpi on in either bios or w200 because then hibernate fails to start

------------------
                    INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
                    G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
                    SBlive
                    128 MB RAM CAS2
                    19GB HDD Space! (6.4+13 quantum drives)
                    Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
                    SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

You don't by any chance have AVP installed? My girlfriends computer won't shut down automaticly unless AVP is unloaded.

------------------
                      Athlon 500@650 Rock Stable (500 Core, 4ns)/MSI 6167/128mb/7200rpm/SB128/G400Max/Win98/RH6.0

Athlon 800@1GHz/MSI 6167/256mb/7200rpm UD66/SB128/G400Max/Win98/Win2k/RH6.2/Be5

Comment

Working...
                      X