Computer Rebooting Loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Rebooting Loop

I have installed a Compro VideoMate C500 capture card on a Gigabyte BOBO. The GA-PA65-UD3-B3. It appears that the VideoMate board is causing some conflict because the computer keeps looping. If I place the card at the bottom PCI slot it will not even be seen. This same card worked fine on a 478 MOBO. Any ideas ?

We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

The bios should have an option to reset ESCD data (sometimes called Configuration Data). This should happen automatically when hardware is inserted or removed; but sometimes does not happen properly, hence the option to force it.

I checked the manual to see if there is some sharing going on with the PCI slots, but could not find anything... I did notice there is an option "display init first", to indicate that the system should check for a PCI videocard... Maybe it sees the compro as a videocard and then fails? (can anyone else confirm this?)

Do you get any diagnostic beeps or are there diagnostic leds (I forgot to check for this)?
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Intel P65 chipsets don't have native PCI anymore, they use a bridge chip i think.
      That could be your problem, the Capture card not liking the bridge chip.

It should work though, since the card should be PCI 2/2.1/2.2 compliant.
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I would try changing the setting "display init first" from its default PCI to PCI Express (I assume you have a PCI Express video card in that system). And if it does not work, ask Gigabyte...
        pixar

Comment

Thank you all,
          We battled with the BIOS settings for about an hour. We came to the conclusion that The VideoMate card and that particular MOBO don't see eye to eye. So I went for an other MOBO which worked fine. I opted for the Asus P8P67 Pro.

We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

I don't think either the P67 or P65 have native PCI, so it probably wasn't that.
            Its always possible that the capture card didn't like that particular motherboard, and since no-one is really going to be doing much testing of the PCI port nowadays we may never find out.

Mobo manufacturers probably test one or two PCI cards, if that, they may just aim to comply to the standards without testing.

Glad you got it working though, and in a pretty short time too .
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I remember I once had a hell of a time with my Pentium II after adding a PCI SCSI controller: it made the ISA soundcard fail. Playing back audio worked for a few seconds, and then this crackling noise started. I refused to be beaten, and searched everywhere until I found a bios setting that was recommended when a PCI videocard was used rather than an AGP videocard. I figured it may have to do with high bandwith cards and tried it... and it solved the problem!

Another time though, I could not get my network card work on an AMD mainboard (this was back in the 386 days)... And a few years ago I could not get a Canopus capture card refusing to work with my Firewire controller... So incompatibilities do occur...

Glad to hear you managed to solve it.
              pixar

Comment

Working...
              X