• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix international expansion

The next Google?

Link....

Netflix streaming gets major overseas expansion

Netflix, the Web's top video rental service, is branching out into 43 new countries in Latin America and the Caribbean later this year.

"Upon launch, Netflix members from Mexico, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean will be able to instantly watch a wide array of American, local, and global TV shows...via a range of consumer electronics devices capable of streaming from Netflix, as well as on PCs, Macs, and mobile devices," Netflix said in a statement today.

News of the expansion sent Netflix's stock soaring. In midday trading, shares of the company's stock were up 6 percent, or up $16.95 to $284.89. That was good enough to top the company's previous 52-week high of $283.50.

Subscribers will be able to access Netflix in Spanish, Portuguese, or English. Netflix said the streaming offer in Latin America and the Caribbean will work the same way it does in the United States. Customers will pay a monthly fee for unlimited access to the company's streaming-video library.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Doubt this will bring in much more as:
    - here the equivalent of Netflix startup went bust few years ago
    - all ISPs and cable providers in most countries are now offering video on demand and PWR also lots of stuff is uploaded to video sites
    - entering saturated markets means loss - see Walmart in Germany
    - in South America people don't care about legality of downloading stuff as much

Comment

Netflix is going to play a big part of my get rid of satellite/cable strategy. Just wish I could get faster internet where I live.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

VoD and such does exist, but i'll be F***ed before I watch the dubbed garbage they have here.
        Even if I can get it in English, its got French subtitles. That won't go away.
        And its like 5euros per film.

Bring Netflix over here and i'll sign up in a heartbeat.

I suspect they'll have NetSoundz up sometime, where you pay a monthly fee to listen to any music, by anyone.
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I'm without cable/satellite for a while now:
          - I get my news from internet, I can watch all national TV news shows online. This also enables me to skip ads (just fast forward the flash player) and to pause and to cross-reference what some politician claims. In one quality newspaper some comments on forums are brilliant, better than articles sometimes and often people dig up and link additional quality data.
          - I watch big soccer matches (Euro or World cup) with friends in bars
          - I download movies (I mainly watch classics, anything below 8 on IMDB is hardly eligible, takes 10 minutes to download entire movie) or buy DVDs for 5 Euros (here it's not dubbed and subs can be turned on or off), occasional cinema
          - There are lots of really cool documentaries and shows uploaded online to sites such as Youtube. For instance entire Top Gear series is on streetfire.net
          Last edited by UtwigMU; 5 July 2011, 22:30.

Comment

Working...
          X