Beware 'friendly', 'cuddly' pets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware 'friendly', 'cuddly' pets.

One of our cats tried to kill us last night.

At about 10pm I thought I could smell gas. I went in to the kitchen and found the cat had jumped up on the cooker and knocked the knob for one of the gas rings.

If he’d done that an hour later…doesn’t bare thinking about!!!

Is anyone in need of some new gloves?

T.

PS the moral of the story is always leave the lid down on the cooker as that isolates the gas from the burners…
    FT.

Wow.. that was close... good to hear nothing bad happened.

I know there are gas furnaces that prevent the flow of gas when there is no flame. They are much more expensive though. Or some have child locks (which I assume also works for a cat). In my kitchen, there is no lid over the gas furnace (it is this glass panel with 4 burners), but I don't have a cat. Still, when renovating the kitchen I'll move away from gas and go for induction.

PS: it did remind me of this: http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/humor..._cat_diary.htm
    Last edited by VJ; 5 July 2011, 06:12.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I think there was a feline plot. The other one has made himself scarce!
      FT.

Comment

In the US, that would have resulted in a slightly singed kitty at worse; Our gas ranges here are required to have electric ignitors, flame sensors and heat activated gas safeties; most also have "push and twist" knobs, so a cat wouldn't do a thing.

Older ranges however... there are two kinds...those that have blown up, and those that will.
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

mmm: cool! I think the push/twist thing is a requirement in Belgium, and from the looks of it also in Poland. But electrical activators and safeties are not... In Belgium, rather than regulate it, it was decided that gas in apartment buildings is forbidden.
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

our dog started the gas on the stove once too.. luckily while we were in the kitchen.
            the electronic ignitors only kick in when it is on high, and he moved it past that so quick that it did not ignite the gas.
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Cats are EVIL - the agents of Hell
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

my new gas cooktop ignitors are on at any flow position - until flame detected. and restart if flame goes out, which happens when i shut the oven door to quickly.

Comment

The Cat's Diary

Day 983 of My Captivity

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...
                  "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Great post TransformX

Fat Tone must have the gas selectors on the top of the cooker, and a cats foot could easily push down and spin when thrusting off.
                    Ours are all on the front of the cooker, so the cats have no way of putting the gas on.
                    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

That's the trouble with Gas Ranges: if you give them even token attention to maintenance they will almost last forever. There are a lot of older models which should have been replaced decades ago for newer ones. The trouble is, newer ones with similar feature set to an electric are a lot more expensive!

Electrics Ranges, while useful for utility cooking, cannot compare to a gas range for control, which is another reason why people are reluctant to do away with an older Gas Range.

A couple of firefighters I know won't install Gas Ranges in their homes on principle.

That said, I'm getting one this summer: my electric bill will drop yet again, as will my HVAC bills. One of the smartest things I have done is to replace electric appliances with Gas: It is a more efficient use of point energy (Heating is more rapid, and cooling is more rapid), and more efficient when viewed from an energy delivery perspective. My electric bill dropped dramatically when I switched to a gas dryer. I expect to see a smaller drop from the range, but I will see savings: no more electricity used to heat the range, and no more use of the same to cool the house yet again. A Gas Range can boil water in 1/3 the time an electric can, and has far less mass to heat in the system. You win during time to heat and time to cool.
                      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I totally agree on gas -nothing cooks better than it saVe for a charcoal grill - and you know how much I love

BBQ!!
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The knobs are on the front edge. They slope down a little but are basically on the top along with the auto timer. I can see how a deliberately well-placed paw would have the effect of pushing down and turning just enough to start the gas flow. The arrangement is that you go to max flow first and then further turning reduces it. The piezo igniters are manual on the top but fully automatic inside the ovens.

I am a huge fan of gas cookers, will never buy electric, even despite this. The cat is 16 and this has never happened before across three cookers. But we will be closing the glass lid when its not in use from now on.

I'm pretty sure a pull-and-twist arrangement would foil the cat's evil plans...
                          FT.

Comment

hmmm, has the kitty been evaluated for depression ? Is it chasing "ghosts" more than normal ?

Comment

i recomend a cat whisperer for some of you. yes you heard me: a cat whispererer.

/meow
                              Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                              Asus Striker ][
                              8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                              Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Working...
                              X