Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Data Will Humans Create & Store This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Data Will Humans Create & Store This Year?

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

We laugh now, but some day in the future we'll have personal ZB storage units of some type.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The only things I can see me storing on local storage is films, music, photos, and own datafiles... While this currently is entering the TBs, I have a hard time imagining it getting 1000x larger... But it will happen...
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

In the 80's we couldn't imagine using more than a 100MB of HDD space. In the 90's we couldn't imagine using more than a 100 GB. In the early 00's we couldn't imagine using more than a TB of data. Now people are putting 3TB drives in their computers and still need more space.

Imagine 10 years from now when we're taking 35MP photos on our phone. Add on movies at 2k or 4k resolution. Two decades of music files, documents, games and misc files.

Jump forward several decades. Imagine the space needs for true 3D (not fake 3D on 2D like we have now) and the space/bandwidth requirements for high resolution three-dimensional images and movies. Add on entire ultra-realistic worlds for virtual realities. Storage space and network requirements are going to go astronomical faster than most people realize.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I agree... but I doubt the growth of data will be useful.

Just consider: to benefit from 2K or 4K resolution, you need monitors that can play it back. 1080p is just becoming standard now, and on relatively small TVs many people don't even see the difference between 720p or 1080p... True 3D would indeed require more storage, but again the playback technology is not there yet.
          35 MP photos on phones is pointless, as lens technology cannot keep up with it (even for a DX format, at 24 MP the resolution becomes resolution limited due to the diffraction limit, even with top lenses - there is some benefit in increasing slightly, but it stops at one point, and that point is even much closer for phone lenses) On the other hand, the technology Lytro brings (light field camera, focus-less system that allows you to set to focus when viewing the photo) might require more storage data.

Don't get me wrong, I am aware data will continue to increase...
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

640ZB should be enough for anyone.
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
            X