Fings ain't wot they used ter be!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fings ain't wot they used ter be!

Last night, we watched a real oldie on Swiss TV, Le petit monde de Don Camillo. Fantastic politico-comedy film of a type they don't (can't?) make now. Really hilarious. Fernandel, as Don Camillo, was sublime; I don't know of any other actor, least of all today, who could tell a whole story in a single facial expression. IMHO, along with a couple of Marcel Pagnol films, the acme of French cinema, which is today poor in quality films.

Other French actors worthy of mention are Jacques Tati, Louis de Funes, Bourvil in the comedy sector and Yves Montand, Jean Gabin, Simone Signoret in the more general class. Before someone reproaches me, I don't consider Depardieu in the same class. He just plays himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgl0Y...eature=related (not original French version but sub-titled)
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

I highly recommend l'aille ou la cuisse... Louis de Funes, Coluche, a great story and timeless fun.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Never really got the humour with De Funes. Slapstick, but too much.

You seem to be stuck in the old, old generation lol
      What about the "Equipe du Splendid" with L'Hermitte, Balasko, Clavier and Jugnot (favorite), and the others ?
      Le pere Noel est une ordure ? http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_P%C3...est_une_ordure

"Operation Corned Beef", which was taken up by the USA and filmed as "True Lies" ?

Jugnot in "Pinot, Simple Flic" is one of my favorites with him.

I must admit lately, here, reality TV has been taken a bit far, and TV in general is crap.

It was the anniversary of Coluches death last Sunday (19th). The man who could have been President, and took on Homelessness with "Les Restos du Coeur".
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I agree that de Funes tended a little too much to the slapstick side. I liked Sur un arbre perché but I found the Chaplin girl rather attractive!

I'm not at all a fan of Gérard Jugnot; the only film of quality that I've seen with him was Les choristes. The Bronzés, Père Noël and similar just left me cold, along with his usual co-actors. In fact, I look for something else if I see there's a Jugnot film on TV!

You are right, as far as French-language entertainment is concerned, I'm stuck in the old, old generation. Who is there today to compete with the old poet/chansonniers? Brel, Vigneault, Charlebois, Piaf, Aznavour, Ferré not to forget the inimitable Brassens. On the lighter side were Chevalier, Trenet and, in a different way, Gainsbourg.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
          I highly recommend l'aille ou la cuisse... Louis de Funes, Coluche, a great story and timeless fun.
          Coluche: just 25 years and 2 days since he left us on his motorbike! Not really a fan of his petit mec and his obscenities but I admired him for his restos du coeur as well as there was nothing in the establishment that he would not attack in his sketches. Worth reading his Wikipedia page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coluche - even if you have never heard of him before.

I think the most fitting tribute to him requires some explanation. In most of his sketches he appeared in a set of trademark striped dungarees (overalls, salopettes). At Montrouge, they have erected a bronze statue of his salopettes - empty! http://www.tuxboard.com/salopette-en...e-a-montrouge/

Comment

Have you seen "Gazon Maudit" with L'Hermitte and Balasko ? Its worth the detour. L'Hermitte gets his come-uppance.

The circumstances around Coluches death still create tensions here. Many believe in a 'complot', but all are sad he is gone.
            Last edited by Evildead666; 21 June 2011, 05:18.
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Jean Reno in Leon: The Professional Perfect.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Just another couple of movies with Louis de Funes and ... Bourvil:
                Le corniaud
                La grande vadrouille
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I think the Le Corniaud scene where he repairs the bullet hole in the Caddy Eldorado is possibly the best slapstick minute and a bit by de Funes, to the tune of Rossini's Tarantella. Excellent editing, to boot. Watch it here

Comment

Le dîner de cons
                    Thierry Lhermitte and Jacques Villeret are very good.
                    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Working...
                    X