Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much voltage is the coppermine able to take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much voltage is the coppermine able to take?

My question is:
    I know that intel says that coppermine is a 1.65 v cpu.
    BUT do they fry at 2v?
    My MSI 6163 (NON PRO) supperts it in bios,
    but i dont know if it suports the voltage.
    On the pcb it is stated that is supports voltage down to 1.3v.
    I have i chance to replace my p3-550 for a coppermine 600 for free.
    Thats why im curious.
    I don't wanna fry a cpu!

I am greatfull for any info!
    Thanks!

------------------
    INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
    G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
    SBlive
    128 MB RAM CAS2
    19GB HDD Space! (6.4+13 quantum drives)
    Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
    SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I think you should look up if your mobo has something alike the following on the Asus P3C mobo's:
    System voltage levels are monitored to ensure stable current to critical motherboard components. Voltage specifications are more critical for future processors, so monitoring is necessary to ensure proper system configuration and management.
    If the MSI-6163 has this feature as well, then it could cope with the CuMine... COULD !!! Don't come after me, if it isn't so

Jorden.

Edit: Same question to you as I asked Ami: Why the need to upgrade to a CuMine? Alot of money or just to impress someone (or us)??
    ------------------
    There will always be MURC, even after 5pm EDT !!!

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 01 March 2000).]
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Would you say "NO" to something free?
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

My opinion is upgrade to the most recent BIOS version, start it up and check the voltage in the BIOS. If it reads 1.65, you're good. If it doesn't, hit the off switch.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 01 March 2000).]

Comment

Free?!? Do it! If it doesn't work, buy another motherboard.

It sounds to me like you're set, although it wouldn't hurt to drop MSI a line with your board's serial, revision, and model number. Doing what Brian suggests, checking the voltage and shutting down quickly if you don't like what you see, sounds prudent to me. Make sure there aren't any jumper settings that over-ride your BIOS.

Why Jorden thinks free is "a lot of money" is a question for the ages. I'm already impressed that you're getting it for free.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Err Paulcs, I made that edit before he answered...
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

It's in the original post.

"I have i chance to replace my p3-550 for a coppermine 600 for free."

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 02 March 2000).]

Comment

Thanks, I'll start reading better or get other shades
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks for all your advice,
                  but iam afraid that mailing MSI will only result in a one line answer:
                  "Check if there is a blue sticker on your IO-chip"
                  that stands in their FAQ.
                  The rely stupid thing then is the statment on the board about suporting voltage down to 1.3v for future cpu's!

the big question is still: will it fry instantly??

BUT i will Mail them and ask!

------------------
                  INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
                  G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
                  SBlive
                  128 MB RAM CAS2
                  19GB HDD Space! (6.4+13 quantum drives)
                  Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
                  SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

[This message has been edited by Technoid (edited 02 March 2000).]

Comment

I have never heard of such a thing. I doubt it, but I haven't tried it, so I couldn't give you a definitive answer.

I suspect it just won't boot. Hopefully, someone with more experience with microchips will give us an answer.

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
                    X