School super requests school be turned into prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School super requests school be turned into prison

This is a riot. Though every time I hear about a major school superintendent complaining about budget cuts I wonder how much they cut their salary. Superintendents make way too much money in large districts.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Please provide for my students in my school district the same way we provide for a prisoner. It’s the least we can do to prepare our students for the future...by giving our schools the resources necessary to keep our students OUT of prison.
    I totally agree with the superintendent. Spot on!
    Invest more in pupils than in prisoners, starting now.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
      http://holykaw.alltop.com/school-sup...school-be-turn

This is a riot. Though every time I hear about a major school superintendent complaining about budget cuts I wonder how much they cut their salary. Superintendents make way too much money in large districts.
      So uhm, what does the guy make? 250k for 1,000 students? Makes 250 a kid, hardly a difference don;t you think?

What does a prison director make btw?
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
        So uhm, what does the guy make? 250k for 1,000 students? Makes 250 a kid, hardly a difference don;t you think?

What does a prison director make btw?
        Breaking down the salary by $ per child doesn't quite work. The super rarely deals with children, and is mostly a political and administrative head. In most urban area districts the superintendent's staff costs more money than the teaching staff, yet it's always the teachers that get cut and never the super's staff. District staff generally get better pay raises than teachers and actual school administrators, too.

Supers in cities make $200k-$500k. Prison wardens make under $200k. This guy probably makes in the low $100k area. In comparison a teacher, who actually performs the important aspects of school...teaching...will make $25k-$75k a year.

Anyway, here in the states the whole school admin issue is a pain. It's probably hard to understand from the outside, but basically school districts are paying large sums of money to hire people who promise positive change in schooling only to fail. Sometimes rather spectacularly. The old super gets a golden parachute, the new super comes in at a higher rate, rinse and repeat.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yeah, our education system is doing well as long as I pretend I am in the 60 to mid 70s. We decided to try and learn from the US system about 20 years ago I think with large schools, professional management, efficiencies of scale (granted, this was just one of the many failed policies) and now have overpaid managers, to many of them and diploma's that are worthless as they are given, in part, because schools get budget based on the number of graduates.

All I am saying is: I think I get it a bit.

However, it's not the salary per child that is irrelevant here, it's his salary, period.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
          X