How can I uninstall my cable tweaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I uninstall my cable tweaks?

I'm not sure if this is my problem but recently my cable modem has been soooo slow I can't hardly stand it. I'm thinking of switching to dsl but it could be the tweaks i've installed. They were registry changes but they were executables so I don't know what they did to my registry. Would I have to reinstall windows or would pulling the card remove them? I remember when I used to download at 300-800 kb/sec and now i'm lucky if i get 100. It could also be everyone else on my block has gotten cable, I don't know. What should I do? Thanks

------------------
    Asus P2b(1010),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 10 gb hd,Sb Live,Win 98

Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

I don't know if this applies but.

I noticed a big drop in my dial up speed. I thought it was a wire problem. I did nothing to windows. Only after a full reinstall (format) did my connect rate go back to the rate I was used to. (Possibly corrupted my dun settings.) Any way I tried reinstalling se over the top. That did not work. Only a full format and reinstall did the trick.)

The other thing I would try is test you connect rate at off peek times say midnight if your rate is back up where it used to be then its your everyone on the system (shared bandwidth) I say test at midnight because I doubt that everyone is actively surfing at midnight. Btw your cables bandwidth is shared with everyone who is on your cable company’s system not just your block. (I think not sure. there may be a way for them to group bandwidth by neighborhoods but I doubt they will do it as it would be more expensive.)
    msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
    it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Kookstick,

i've been on cable for going on 2 years now and i had the same problem about 6 months ago. i simply asked my provider to split the router that supplied my ip address.

i work on t1 circuts at work so it was easy to convince them that thats' what was needed, they said that a lot of complaints from customers had recently been recieved...they did it about 2 months later. as far as those tweaks, i had looked at those on some website but i didn't apply them...

if you can, get a trace route program..like ping plotter, http://www.nessoft.com/pingplotter/ and send your provider screen shots showing those "hops" that are having a problem.

chucky

Comment

Thanks everyone, I will call my cable company even though their customer service is the worst i've ever dealt with in my life.Maybe I can get this resolved but if not I guess there is always the dsl option. Thanks again
        Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Comment

Working...
        X