• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Unspeakable acts"

These are the days when I really wish Michigan had the death penalty -

Detroit News....

Caregivers charged with 'unspeakable acts' in starving death of 4-year-old

The aunt and uncle of a 4-year-old boy who starved to death on Mother's Day were charged today with four felonies, three of which carry life terms.

Matilda Jane Brown Gardner, 30, and Randy Steven Gardner, 32, both of Highland Park, were charged with premeditated murder, felony murder, torture and first-degree child abuse.

The first two counts carry a penalty of life without parole, the third is punishable by up to life in prison, and the fourth is punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

The charges, announced today by Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy, are related to the death of Robert Byrd, who weighed just 24 pounds and had bruises on his body.

Worthy said it was sadly ironic that the toddler was discovered on Mother's Day in his home in the 200 block of California Street in Highland Park.

"The child in this case suffered unspeakable acts that led to his death," she said.

The Gardners will be arraigned Thursday at noon at 30th District Court in Highland Park.

Five other children stayed in the home, including the victim's 6-year-old brother. The other children, who apparently were unhurt, have been removed from the home by Children's Protective Services.

An autopsy had determined Byrd died from starvation and neglect, and Highland Park Police suspect extensive bruises on his emaciated body also indicate abuse.

"What they deserve to be charged with is first-degree premeditated murder," said Michelle Burnett, sister of the boy's biological father, Anthony Byrd Sr., 31.

The child, who relatives said suffered from sickle cell anemia and his brother, had been in the custody of the couple since 2009, when their father served nine months for felonious assault. The father said he was unable to regain custody after his release. Their mother died in 2007 of a brain aneurysm.

The Gardners have been in police custody since Sunday.

Burnett said the family has been unable to afford to make funeral arrangements. She said donations may be made to the Robert Byrd Memorial Fund at any Fifth Third Bank branch.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 May 2011, 17:06.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Horrifying!

This goes for these two as well:
    http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/5...rete-slab.html

What's wrong with people nowadays?

Comment

Dunno. I really don't miss going in to work an ER shift and having infants arrive that had been beaten, microwaved or tossed into a 400°F oven just for kicks. Some days you just want to walk out, and keep on going
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I wonder... does it happen more, or does it come out more? Or both?

Horrifying what things some people are capable of...
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Answer: my experience is that it happens more than you hear about.

Disgusting, 'eh?
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Update - someone needs to shoot these people.

Link....

Highland Park-- Graphic testimony and autopsy photos Friday revealed that a 4-year-old boy who starved to death in his aunt's and uncle's care also was bound by the wrists and beaten over a long period of time.

Police said handcuffs were among the evidence taken from the home where Robert Byrd Jr. was found dead on Mother's Day.

"This child was beaten and tortured," Wayne County Medical Examiner Carl Schmidt testified in 30th District Court.

Judge Brigette Officer described evidence she was shown Friday as "disturbing" and ordered Randy Gardner, 32, and his wife, Matilda Gardner, 30, to stand trial on charges of premeditated first-degree murder, felony murder, torture and first-degree child abuse. If convicted, the murder charges carry mandatory life sentences without parole.

Officer ordered both suspects to continue being held without bond in the Wayne County Jail. They'll be arraigned Friday in Wayne County Circuit Court.

Robert and his 6-year-old brother had been in the Gardners' custody since 2009 after their mother died and their father went to jail. The Gardners have four sons of their own. All were removed from the home by state authorities after Robert's death.

Matilda Gardner told police her husband beat Robert with a belt and an electric extension cord, according to an officer who testified Friday. She said she tried to stop him, but that the boy angered her husband when he wet himself.

"Randy would beat him with a belt because of it," Officer Paul Thomas said she told him.

Both adults insisted in police interviews that Robert hadn't been deprived of food. "That's impossible. I fed him along with everyone else," Thomas said Matilda Gardner told him.

Schmidt testified that the boy's weight of 22 pounds was 10 to 20 pounds under normal for his height. He also described 14 graphic autopsy photos that showed bruises, healed scars and open infected wounds over 90 percent of the boy's body.
            >
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

There's a special place in hell (or wherever) for people like this, I just wish I could help them get there faster.

They certainly don't deserve the humanity of what prison offers nor the quick death that await them in states where we do have the death penalty.
              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
              X