X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netfix to pass Comcast

Well, well, well....

Hollywood Reporter....

Analysts believe the company will still surpass Comcast, even if it is shy of estimates.

Netflix is poised to become the largest subscription entertainment business in the U.S. when it reports quarterly earnings on Monday.

Analysts are figuring that Netflix will have added around 3.7 million subscribers to its ranks, giving it 23.7 million, give or take 100,000.

Even if Netflix is shy of estimates, it will likely show enough growth to propel it ahead of Comcast at 22.8 million video subscribers and beyond the 20.2 million subs at Sirius XM Radio.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Netflix is a company that has always tried to do right by their customers. It helps that doing so has generally been in their favor, so I really hope as Netflix grows and becomes even more of a powerhouse, they continue to do so.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
      Netflix is a company that has always tried to do right by their customers. ...
      Which is exactly why it left Blockbusters, who had the opposite view of their customers, in its dust.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

As it continues to sign up distributors its going to leave Comcast in the dust too, but it has a way to go. Still, Netflix is growing by leaps & bounds while Comcast is losing customers.

Todays numbers -

Netflix market cap: $13.33B @ $252.04/share & climbing fast

Comcast market cap: $70.25B @ $25.30/share & flat
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Netflix started in Canada last year.. but with the caps on downloads all the major providers have, along with throttling their service, it is not growing as fast as it should. How much HD content would you watch on a 25GB/month cap, with $2/GB after?

Until Bell/Rogers get with the times, they will not do well here, unfortunately
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

This gave me a giggle

Still, I can't say much with >200 films & TV series in my Netflix queue and a Hulu Plus account in the on-deck circle

Link....

Do You Suffer from Netflix Streaming Syndrome?

As technology marches on, it brings with it a whole new set of maladies. Just as keyboards have given rise to carpal tunnel syndrome, another innovation has created an ailment just as awful. Let us warn you about Netflix Streaming Syndrome.

When VHS was introduced decades ago, buying the cassettes for home viewing was cost prohibitive, so the business model of the video store was created. People would rent tapes, watch them, and then return them after several days. (Yes, it was as primitive as it sounds.) Soon the model shifted and people started buying tapes—and later DVDs—to view in their own home at their convenience. But while this worked fine when it came to your favorite movies or TV shows, it was still too pricey to assemble a vast library of entertainment content.

All of that has changed with the introduction of Netflix's unlimited streaming service, which lets you watch countless movies or TV shows whenever you want to. And not only on your computer. With an Apple TV or a Wii, you can even stream them on your big, fancy HD television. It's basically like being at the movies except there isn't any popcorn stuck in your couch and you don't have some annoying old lady sitting next to you making you stand up seven times so she can go back and forth to the rest room. Or, maybe you do?

While this innovation is great, it's also created a horrendous new ailment called Netflix Streaming Syndrome. Symptoms include:

• Insomnia brought on by watching every episode of a compelling series in a row at the expense of getting a good night's sleep.

• Anti-social behavior as a result of staying in and making it a "Netflix night" rather than going out in public and seeing other human beings.

• Blackouts induced by spending an entire day watching movies back-to-back

• Pop culture knowledge that is a shade outdated and limited only to topics that are offered as part of the streaming package.

• A glut of intense information about things most people don't care about, like the oeuvre of Meg Ryan or the subversive aspects of the first season of She-Ra: Princess of Power

• A gnawing impatience when you can't watch what you want to watch when you want to watch it coupled with fits of rage when movies are not available for streaming and you must wait two whole days for an actual disc to arrive in a little red envelope in the mail.

These symptoms were avoided in the old days because one had to go to a Blockbuster or wait for a DVD to arrive in the mail, which means spacing out your consumption with other activities like interacting with your family, cooking food, doing laundry, working at a job, paying bills, and, in general, being a human being. With Netflix's streaming plan, your very humanity is in jeopardy.
            >
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 April 2011, 15:47.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Wonder how long before there is a hostile takeover by one of the large media companies like Viacom..??
              paulw

Comment

It's actually Netflix who's in acquisition mode, with the first target rumored to he the Starz network. Meanwhile, they're licensing streaming rights to distributors like Epix, which gives them Paramount Pictures, Lions Gate and MGM films.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 April 2011, 04:12.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Wish they would come and setup in my part of the world..
                  paulw

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                    It's actually Netflix who's in acquisition mode, with the first target rumored to he the Starz network. Meanwhile, they're licensing streaming rights to distributors like Epix, which gives them Paramount Pictures, Lions Gate and MGM films.
                    Don't forget that they're also looking for rights to more original content.

I've been debating whether to make the jump to streaming only with Netflix. We have two DVDs right now and they have been sitting around waiting to be watched for near on two months now.
                    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
                    X