No announcement yet.

CanadArm tech on commercial spacecraft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanadArm tech on commercial spacecraft?

Article....

Space head says discussions ongoing to use Canadarm technology on private spacecraft

The Canadian Press

MONTREAL — The head of the Canadian Space Agency says discussions are taking place about how the Canadarm can be used on commercial spacecraft.

But Steve MacLean says he doesn't know whether the robotic arm or its technology will actually be purchased by private companies.
    "What I can say is there are discussions going on at all levels about what's possible and it will depend on how those discussions go," he said Tuesday.

MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd., (MDA), which built the Canadarm and owns the technology, is already working with the space agency on the next generation Canadarm and is involved in discussions with potential commercial customers.

"The developing commercial space flight programs represent a great opportunity for Canada and MDA to be involved in the continuation of the successful and iconic Canadarm program," MDA said in an email statement.
    >
    "These different vehicles have different needs," MacLean said.
    "So what we need to make sure of at the CSA is that we are part of the discussions about determining whether it's suitable for the robotics to be part of this vehicle or be part of that vehicle."

MacLean made the comment during an online news conference to mark the 10th anniversary of Canadarm2 — the robotic arm on the International Space Station.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X