Missing *.vxd file. HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing *.vxd file. HELP!

Whenever I boot up now, my computer tells me "ebkos.vxd" is missing in "windows\system\vmm32"

Not figured out what program it was for.

But if anyone can help by sending my the file to my E-Mail address.
    walrusbonzo@cwcom.net

Thanks In Advance

What version of Windows are you running? I have Win98SE and cannot find any file with that name on my HD.

Comment

Neither can I with Win98FE... Isn't it a sounddriver or something like that?
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

It is Win98, not SE, but I use Windows Update website so It basically is SE.

Thanks for help guys!

Will

Comment

30 minutes ago I got a frantic phone call from my daughter who is a two hour drive away saying that her computer wouldn't reboot because it was missing windows/system/vmm32/vpowerd.vxd. Luckily she was able to boot from safe mode and it just restarted normally. I found, a few minutes ago, the links below. Not sure if they will help.

Laurie
          http://www.mcs.net/~revolutn/win98_vxd_fix.htm http://www.thehelper.net/windows98crash.html
          Laurie
          ======

Comment

Hi Walrus B.

Are you sure of the file? Might it not be ebios.vxd? Anyway, I found another link you might try.
            http://www.mediavis.com/tech/tips/Mar99/index5.htm

Laurie
            Laurie
            ======

Comment

I searched my hard drive and I couldn't find the file in Win98 ME, something you installed probably added that file

Comment

You're not overclocking, are you?

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Actually it was through overclocking that this happened.

The Computer still works fine, I've obviously noit used the program that requires it yet!

Will

Comment

If you are overclocking and getting missing vxd file errors, it is just because you have selected a FSB speed your HD can't handle (83 MHz). Lots of HDs have trouble with 83 MHz. Mine not, but well I chose it specifically for my o/c needs.

Try lowering PIO mode in setup or go for 100 MHz FSB speed.
                    Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Isn't ebios one of those vxd's installed (or rather, used) with one of the Networking clients?

My impression is that we're talking about a reinstall of Windows over itself, where some component was either not reinstalled, or has not been installed by Windows Update...

The Win98 vxd fix is a <u>very</u> good thing... I was about to post that myself, Laurie....

Wait a minute.... I know I've seen this before... but I seem to remember that it's something more to do with Win95... did you by any chance install Win98 over an install of Win95 that had either:[list=1][*] The USB Supplement installed; or[*] IE 4.0 installed?[/list=a]

Generally, I'd say try to think what Windows component you might have had before (and before what, btw??) that you do not have now....

-------------------------
                      Holly

Comment

Its a fresh install of Win 98 guys, with DX7a, IE 5.5 BETA, ALL the l8est updates off Windows Update.

Basically everything was fine. I then overclocked from 100MHz Bus with a 4.5 Multiplier to a 100MHz Bus with a 5 Multiplier.. It didn't post so I upped the voltage, it booted but was unstable, so I Upped the voltage again, it then came up with the VXD error for the first time. So I thought, bugger it and put it back the way it was (100x4.5)MHZ and put the voltage down again..

I still have the problem.

It says an entry in the registry or System.ini refers to ebkos.vxd. So I search the registry, found nothing, but then in the system.ini file I found...

[386Enh]
                        ebios=*ebkos
                        woafont=app850.fon
                        mouse=*vmouse, msmouse.vxd
                        device=*dynapage
                        device=*vcd
                        device=*vpd
                        device=*int13
                        keyboard=*vkd
                        display=*vdd,*vflatd
                        device
                        PagingDrive=E:
                        MinPagingFileSize=196608
                        MaxPagingFileSize=196608

notice the "ebios=*ebkos"

Like I said before, every program I have used since this "error" turned up has worked fine..

Any ideas guys..

Thanks for the help anyway!

Will

Comment

Chances are that the problem is simply disk corruption from your overclocking experiments. The entry probably should be ebios=*ebios vs. ebios=*ebkos. The difference in the character 'i' and the character 'k' is only one bit.
                          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Cheers I thought that was the problem from the start!

I'll try it!

Will

Comment

Problem Fixed :-)

Thankyou everyone!
                              Will

Comment

Working...
                              X