Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless hdmi or hdmi over cat5

Hello,

Just looking at some options to connect a pc to a TV; the TV is built in to a wall, but no video cables have been routed there, just power and cable. I'm trying to decide on routing cables there or not...
    My options are:
    - route hdmi cable
    - route 2x cat5 cable and use hdmi over cat5 converter
    Or go wireless:
    - wireless hdmi connection
    - something like veebeam (connects to usb on the pci, hdmi on the TV

The veebeam thing, I suspect works as an external video card. Can you still benefit from DXVA (the normal video card supports this) or not?
    (the pc I'm connecting is an atom, it really needs DXVA to play back HD content)
    It only will allow the connection of a pc though, nothing else... and may have driver issues...

Pure wireless hdmi seems quite expensive... It may seem the easiest solution, but the receivers are quite bulky and need a powersupply. Any recommendations here?

The reason I'm also looking at the 2x Cat5 cable connection is that the cabling is a lot cheaper, the converters are not so expensive and they don't need an external powersupply... Up to 30m, it is possible in 1080p.

At the moment, I'm tempted by the 2x Cat5 cable solution...

Any comments, suggestions, ....?

Thanks!
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

CAT 5e/6

After reading your question I did a BING search and read up on this type of setup from the first three hits. I don't see how you could go wrong with a CAT 5e/6 setup. The only thing I couldn't decide on is the ones with a power supply versus the ones without...I don't know but my natural inclination is to have the power assist...but distance and hardware should/could decide whether this neccessary. Here is what I read..

CAT 6 for 3D
    Solid wire is better than stranded(..I haver never seen stranded CAT5e/6 UTP cable)
    2 port CAT 5e/6 converters need both UTP wires installed
    Both wires need to be equal in length
    Not all players supply the needed voltage on the HDMI port to support powerless converters
    Shielded UTP cables are recommended

Good Luck

Comment

I'd go with routing an HDMI cable personally.
      You can get them pretty long, and once its done, its done.

Didn't the installer leave a little room for any additional cables to be routed ? or is the TV only accessible by removing it from the wall ?
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

The construction is protruding gips-cardboard (not sure how to translate it, it are "gyproc" panels) construction, in which a hole is left for the TV (so the TV hangs on the concrete wall). This was done by the previous owners of the apartment. I need place a the computer away from the protruding wall, but the metal supports of the fake wall might prevent an easy passageway for the cables.
        If necessary, the most obvious workaround is to go down from the TV, come out of the fake wall behind the plinths, and route the cable behind the plinths.

The easiest solution would be just a HDMI cable, but aren't they quite fragile? I would need to make about 3 90° turns behind the plinths (which leaves limited maneuvering space). I'm also not sure they have much experience with routing hdmi cables here... But they could surprise me...
        Looking for wireless solutions I came across the ethernet option. I would guess cat5 cable is more flexible and perhaps independent of hdmi standard (just a matter of replacing the hdmi/cat5 converters)... I also came across powered and unpowered versions; and read that some receivers have problems using the unpowered once as they are slightly out of hdmi spec and don't provide enough power. As far as I have found, it only occurs with receivers, and not even with all of them.

I'll have to ask the guys who will do the renovation work, but wanted to be informed beforehand... My first choice might be HDMI, with ethernet a close second (even though I feel it might have some benefits).

Would only route hdmi, or also other ones? I would put the TV on a movable bracket (so it can be extend slightly for easy access to its connections, so for quickly/temporarily connecting something it is not necessary to have other connections)
        pixar

Comment

Plasterboard is what you have I think, same as I have here (except these are 40yrs old).
          Not the easiest thing to work with, I agree.

Then again, cutting a hole, putting in a plastic tube as a guide, and re-plastering over it could be easier than trying to route around or through the board.
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Problem is that the cable would have to go through the metal support beam (which is about 30 cm away from the opening for the TV, and about 20 cm from the side edge which is closed by plasterboard).
            Opening the construction would be difficult, routing along the outside would mean not having to go through the support and without opening the support...

I'll have to see what the renovators suggest...
            pixar

Comment

OK, I know nothing abou thtis but, uhm, why would you need 2 Cat5 cables??
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Because the 4 Mice8 them ?

Comment

LOL

But really?
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Load Balancing ???

I ask my self the same thing but none of the article said exactly why. So I just assume it is just for load balancing since gigabit networking in theory cannot deliver the bandwidth that is talked about with HDMI(..1.6GBs/2.4GBs). I have seen this rating applied to HDMI cables.

Pure speculation on my part though

Comment

HDMI Product to Consider

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

Here is a product to consider for close quarter connections. I got this at best buy but I am sure other retailers should have it. As you can see it bends to 90 degrees, very sturdy construction(metal) and gold plated hdmi connections, male and female. It is made by Rocketfish.

Last edited by Chucky Cheese; 18 April 2011, 00:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                        OK, I know nothing abou thtis but, uhm, why would you need 2 Cat5 cables??
                        Most hdmi over cat5e uses two ethernet cables:

(they are labeled tmds and ddc)
                        I have found a product that uses one cable, and it is more expensive.

Originally posted by degrub View Post
                        Because the 4 Mice8 them ?

Originally posted by Chucky Cheese View Post
                        Here is a product to consider for close quarter connections. I got this at best buy but I am sure other retailers should have it. As you can see it bends to 90 degrees, very sturdy construction(metal) and gold plated hdmi connections, male and female. It is made by Rocketfish.
                        Yes, I've also come across such things, but hey are too big to find behind the plinths. I already had a hard time explaining the guy I want 4 satellite cables and computer network cables to connect different rooms...
                        Tomorrow the electrician comes, so that might make it a bit easier to explain. I'll make a cabling diagram just to make sure everything is clear.
                        pixar

Comment

Ok, it has turned into a moot point... problems with the radiator require me to change the radiator, which in turn will result in removing the floor: the floor are panels, but on top of a nice parquet. I'll have the panels removed and the parquet restored; the TV construction as a whole will be removed, and I'll look for another solution.
                          Last edited by VJ; 20 April 2011, 03:50.
                          pixar

Comment

Bummer

Hope it works out !

Comment

The dilemma now is: do I hang the TV on the wall or do I put it on a table...

The bedroom is not so long, there is about 40 cm between the bed and the wall, so a TV on a table would have to be more towards one side of the bed. Hanging it allows for it to be more optimally positioned, but of course covers a wall (no chance to hang other things) and requires cabling (not really an issue: walls still need to be smoothed and painted)...

I'm inclined to hang the TV, but I would still need at least a small table/cabinet thing then to put the computer on it (and yes: cables from TV to the computer, so maybe the original question is not that moot). But the table can be small and can be put in a small corner (not possible with the TV on it).

Putting the TV on a table would give more freedom on the wall and not pose any cable issues; if the table is on wheels it could also be positioned better (but I think still not as optimal as when it would hang). And I will have to decided quickly...
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X