Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: What's the difference (k6-2 or K63)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: What's the difference (k6-2 or K63)?

Hey there,

Due to the recent release of k6-2 550, and the static sale price of the k63 450, I was wondering what's the big difference between these two proccessors other than the amount of L2 cache provided? I guess the bottom line is, which one will give me a few more FPS' in games such as Q3A and Unreal Tournie'?

Hi
    you can look at about an 5fps increase when using a K6-III over an similarly clocked and specced system with a K6-II.

The business application performance should also be quite more speedy with the III.

This is not due to the L2 cache size actually but the fact that the K6-III has a 3 level cache desighn.
    L1 the same as K6-II i believe 64Kb
    L2 is an on die 256Kb with the III (i think running at full core speed) - this is something the II does not have at all.
    Further the II has a L2 cache of normally 512Kb on the motherboard running at the Front Side Bus speed.
    For the K6-III this is the L3 cache.

Which means that the bottlenech of a say 450/100 combo that is 450Mhz CPU with 100Mhz FSB is really widened by that cache implementation.

Now what you must look at is the fps of a 550Mhz K6-II and the FPS of a 450Mhz K6-II.
    Add +- 5fps to the latter score and compare.
    The 550Mhz would most likely come out on top since 100Mhz on 450Mhz is quite an increase.
    However i think it would be quite close.

But ten again buy a 450K6-III and overclock it - and since the K6-III production has supposedly been halted due to a too little demand i would say grab one while it is stil around - i think it is a nice buy.

Hope this helps
    You all may think this is not important.
    BUT IT IS AMATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!

Comment

Yeah, it does actually

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Overclock an AMD K6-3 450MHz.

What a joke.
        It doesn't matter what I do, I can't overclock mine.

I have an ASUS P5A mobo if anyone is interested in helping?

Comment

Do not ask me i have not done it before.
          But let me reply.

Since the K6-III has the cache on die it requires quite a bit more power and since you can not do anything to the amps you are left with one choice.
          P=IV
          up the voltage.
          I do not know exactly how much you need to up it but as far as i know +50Mhz needed a VCore increment last time i checked.

Try it
          Remember that it could also be due to silicon yield.
          And burn it in for a while maybe that helps
          You all may think this is not important.
          BUT IT IS AMATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!

Comment

Hi, overclocking a 450 K6-3 is indeed possible. I overclocked my 400'er first to 450MHz without upping the Core Voltage from 2,2.
            But to go higher I needed to up the Voltage to 2,8V! So now it runs stable at 500MHz.

Mega
            K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
            G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Be sure to monitor the temperature when you overclock the K6-3, and use programs like Rain/Waterfall/CpuIdle when running 24/7.

Using waterfall, my cpu is generally at 30C, without it it goes to 40C.

Comment

The K6-3 is much more responsive with any program you run. Gaming performance varies a lot from game to game, but the K6-3 is just overall much better. I haven't tried a K6-2 550, but the K6-2s don't scale too well due to the L2 cache remaining 100MHz on the mobo. The integer intensive programs are night and day different if that matters to you.

Comment

Working...
                X