BLACK ICE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLACK ICE

I am in search of a software package called BLACK ICE. This software has to do with Hacking. What this package is suppose to do is track the IP's of people who are trying to hack into your system. What it then does is it closes the port they are trying to use so that they can no longer get in. If you know of a web page I can find this software please let me know.

Oficial page is www.networkice.com

It is a firewall with a few nice features, but it is a bit on the slow side. Good for new users.

------------------
    Asus P2B-F, P3-450~556, 512MB PC100 8ns SDRAM, G400MAX (yay!) at 160Mhz, Teac 58S CD-R, Toshiba SM-1002 DVD-ROM, Toshiba 40X SCSI CD-ROM, 8.4GB IDE primary drive, 9GB Micropolis Tomahawk UWSCSI, 9GB IBM U2WSCSI, 18GB U2WSCSI Cheetah, Diamond MX300, 3COM 10/100TX, 3COM Gaming Modem, Adaptec 2940U2W

And a partridge in a pear treeeeeeee.
    A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

BlackICE is great, not just for new users. It is completely hassle free. The only thing missing is an option to remove it if you want to play online games, where you need the full speed. You have to make a shortcut, "blackd.exe stop" or "blackd.exe remove".

Comment

I popped for it an I am amazed at the number of intrusions and scans I get every day ..That is ATTEMPTED intrusions..HE HE all they see is dead air like my box is off line..Good stuff Im very happy with it............Matt
        Abit BF6, P3 secc 700E AT 1001,alpha cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Comment

Hey ALL,

I use Black Ice, and it's nice to be able to see who is doing what to your PC when you're not watching. In terms of performance, I find that is does degrade performance, but that depends on the game you are playing. It's a great tool for protecting your PC from unwanted intrusion. Mind you, Black Ice can't do the job alone, so becareful when you download stuff to your PC and make sure you have an excellent virus scanner.

------------------
          Regards,

Ben

Config: AOPen AX6BC Pro II Millenium Edition, P2 400@500, 128MB PC133 RAM, SB Live!, Netgear 10/100, Adapted 2940U2W SCSI adapter, Seagate Barracuda 4.3GB UW, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD reader, STB Blackmagic V2 (SLI) - removed after new TurboGL, Matrox G400MAX, Viewsonic PS790 and G773, Win98SE

Regards,

Ben

Config: Abit BE6-II r1, PIII 700E@933, 256MB PC133 RAM (CAS2), SB Live!, Intel 82558 10/100 Net Adapter, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Host Adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W SCSI HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD-ROM, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and E771, Win98SE and NT4

Comment

You also should check out zone alarm at
            www.zonelabs.com

It is COMPLETELY free and works in both directions i.e. also stops programs that report your personal information across the net.

I find it to be my favorite firewall now, I don't use Black Ice anymore.

Comment

KilroY- I downloaded zone alarm just now and was wondering if there are any special settings you use, I have a cable modem and didn't realize this was really a threat until now, any way to tell is people have been trying to access your system with this program? Do you just have it on all the time or is the option of locking when screensaver sufficient? How can you tell if its locked and does it unlock as soon as you hit the mouse? Just want to make sure its configured correctly, sorry for all the questions

------------------
              Asus P2b(1010),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 10 gb hd,Sb Live,Win 98

Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Comment

Kookstick,
                I'm pretty sure the program has to be running (i.e. it wont start with a screensaver if it isn't on already). It isn't neccesary to have the taskbar control-center up, though, just the little meter icon in the systray.

If you have the zone-alarm internet security level set to high (default) you shouldn't need to keep the lock on your computer; the firewall will keep out traffic that isn't permitted under "programs". A little message will pop up saying what or whom is trying to access your computer. This might get annoying after a while, so you can turn that off (just the message, the firewall will continue working.)

If you want some really good information about security and firewalls and how microsoft leaves you wide open by default, go here:

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I really suggest reading everything there, its very informative and it's clearly written (And he isn't trying to sell you anything).

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by KilroY (edited 05 February 2000).]

Comment

KilroY- I got the little pop up window you were talking about 2 times last night, does that mean someone was trying to hack me at that time?I just have 1 more question if you dont mind:in the programs part of it, when I try to use something like napster,rogerwilco ect. When those programs go into the zone alarm list they have 3 check boxes allow server for local,internet and pass lock.I read the readme but its still not clear whick i need to check or uncheck to be secure yet allow the programs to work properly.I appreciate your help

------------------
                  Asus P2b(1010),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 10 gb hd,Sb Live,Win 98

Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Comment

You see? That's what I like about BlackICE, NO HASSLE.

Comment

But how about ZoneAlarm then?
                      1) It's free.
                      2) You can adjust access by program.
                      3) It blocks suspicious transfer out as well.
                      4) As easy as BlackICE.

_
                      B

Comment

1) True, allthough they do want some information from you
                        2) HASSLE
                        3) So does BlackICE
                        4) NOT
                        5) BlackICE does a backtrace, and logs evidence files

The only thing I liked was that icon showing network traffic.

[This message has been edited by Hunsow (edited 05 February 2000).]

Comment

Kookstick,
                          A lot of websites (especially ad banners and such) try to send info back and forth, so the pop-up window doesn't necessarily mean you were being hacked.

About the programs, for every program you recognize in there it should be fine to turn on internet access, and if you are not on a local network the "local" check won't usaully matter what it's set to. If you are suspicious of a program, try turning internet access off and see what happens.
                          I wouldn't worry about passlock either.

Comment

Hunsow,
                            Maybe ZoneAlarm doesn't have a UI just like ones favourite MS app, but I found it much less hassle than learning to use ICQ. And very much less than any of MetaCreations' products for that matter.

I think that when such a cool and usefull tool is free, there have to be quite strong arquments to prove me not to use it. Especially when it has features that BlackICE doesn't. Well it doesn't have logging like BlackICE but the next version might. And would you press charges anyway as a home user?

_
                            B

Comment

Buuri, whats dat url then?

Comment

Working...
                              X