Brother's Quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brother's Quest

Brother Franklin (64 years, chronological) wants to kayak from Mandan, ND to Florida (or Alaska, depending on whether he turns left or right at Hudson Bay), following rivers and coastlines to the Gulf of Mexico or Puget Sound and beyond. I've already pointed out the obvious (health considerations, heavy-traffic-shipping lanes, HDDV of every minute, GPS, Emergency transponders, etc). I don't know (honestly!) if he's serious or not. But if anyone has any other factors to take into consideration, we're both all ears.

I don't recommend doing it alone, however in a group or with a boat it's good. Some of my coworkers did it in group last year and 2 guys from my country rowed around south Korea last year.

Comment

I agree - don't do it alone. That said -

Floatation device with automatic deployment - unless, of course, he plans on making regular barrel rolls

Transfer prescriptions to a national pharmacy with stores near all planned stops.

If any meds require refrigeration (insulin etc) this would present a big problem in a small watercraft. Cold packs only last so long, and active coolers need power.

For the emergency kit (my tried & true list based on hard experience) -

Duct tape!!

Plastic bottle of anelgeisics - motrin or aspirin are good anti-inflammatories too.

1 spray can antimicrobial saline wound cleaner - can't depend on river water being clean and you don't want to use up your drinking water.

A small plastic jar of honey. It's both an ermergency source of calories and a bacteriostatic/immune stimulant wound/burn/sore dressing. Seriously. Special honeys are available with higher activity, but most any thick honey will do.

Waterproof bandages.

ACE wraps (2) for sprains.

Inflatable limb splints; 1 arm & 1 leg. Compact, cheap, waterproof & very effective. You don't know how much you need these until you do

Throw-away national coverage cell phone in a taped-shut waterproof container.

LED flashlight (small one with a 100+ hour battery life or 2-3 spare cells, or a windup)

Leatherman tool in a belt holster, and another in the kit.

A Ka-Bar army knife. Wear it if possible/legal, but have one available. When you need it, you really need it. It + a stick + duct tape = a spear, and the blade is nearly indestructable.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 April 2011, 11:18.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X