Getting in to air rifles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting in to air rifles...

...had some fun on holiday at the weekend with a little target shooting.

Why shouldn't I buy these?: http://www.pellpax.co.uk/acatalog/Sp..._The_Week.html

So you'll probably say they are way too cheap to have any quality.

What should I be looking for? What's a reasonable amount to pay for a first rifle?

Ta,

T.
    FT.

It's a good start, I've got 2 rifles and a couple C02 hand guns, the kids have a hoot with them at the cottage - shooting odd targets. Both rifles are in the same price range as the ones you link to there.
    It's really no use spending any more than that anyway, in case the kiddies get tired of it. You can buy some decent ones later if the interest is still there.
    The only issue I have with those is where the scope is mounted. They are break action barrels, and the scopes are mounted on the fixed end of the barrel. Over time the pivot on the barrel becomes sloppy, and your shots will become less repeatable. Using the actual sights is actually more accurate, they are physically mounted to the moveable section of the barrel. It's just not as 'cool' as a scope
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Dunno about the legity in your parts, but pellet guns are more accurate than BB (B2 to you) guns - the pellet is lead and better guns have rifled barrels. Pumped air is cheaper to operate, but CO2 is more convenient. Available as either single shor or clip fed, pistol or long arm.

In these parts Crosman is the market leader with models from cheap AirSoft (plastic pellets) to high end match guns - hell, some of their guns have laser sights.

I have an old Crosman 1400 Pumpmaster .22 cal bolt action pump single shot that's a nail driver. Shoots darts too. Have had it for decades, which speaks to the quality of their higher end stuff. Has irons, takes a scope and is the gun I used to teach the kids how to shoot. My great grandkids will probably still be shooting this thing.

A modern Crosman is their Benjamin Discovery: both pump and CO2, .22 and high quality.

Pumpmaster
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 March 2011, 14:15.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Surely the kids aren't bothering you that much!
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Having a rifle will save me a lot of running...
          FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
            ...had some fun on holiday at the weekend with a little target shooting.

Why shouldn't I buy these?: http://www.pellpax.co.uk/acatalog/Sp..._The_Week.html

So you'll probably say they are way too cheap to have any quality.

What should I be looking for? What's a reasonable amount to pay for a first rifle?

Ta,

T.
            Welcome to the wonderful world of air rifles! I've had this "bug" since i was ~10 years old, that's 25 years ago. Adult airguns is a lot of fun, target shooting, plinking tin cans and so forth. In the UK you're even allowed to hunt with them I think. Have had a lot of rifles during the last years; both spring powered and the much more powerful precharged pneumatic (PCP) variants. Am particular fond of the fantastic quality of the UK based Air Arms brand and also the somewhat cheaper BSA's. Had a AA S410 SL ERB which shot half inch CTC all day long at 50 yards. The small and sexy BSA Ultra is also a great little performer. Well enough about that.

I think it is wise to start out with a cheaper rifle and move up to more expensive ones if you like it. If you're interested, try the BSA owners group forum, we're really friendly.

http://www.airgunbuyer.com/ has a lot to get you drooling!

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Sadly I'm gonna have to wait on this one. We booked a holiday instead. Maybe there'll be clay shooting onboard
              FT.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Sadly I'm gonna have to wait on this one. We booked a holiday instead. Maybe there'll be clay shooting onboard
                Finally got 'em

I decided to get them for my birthday last weekend. Great fun in the garden.

I'm wating on a proper target holder, gun oil and a bipod to arrive, hopefully today. If the weather clears up I'll get out there and get the scopes aligned correctly - they were way off. Without a decent support I'm too erratic to get it more accurately aligned than a couple of inches @ 30ft.

A question on pellets: There are lots of shapes available, all claiming 'for accuracy'. Are any better than others, without spending a fortune.
                FT.

Comment

Crosman .22 conical hollow point 14.3gr works best in my guns
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Somehow 'hollow point' sounds kinda lethal and wasted on a paper target.

Anyway, on to improving accuracy.

Today my bipod etc arrived. I set myself up in the garden with a table ~20ft from the targets, attached the bipod and proceeded to adjust the 'scopes.

The first gun has a 4x20 scope. After a little adjustment I was able to plug the 5 most of the time (the 5 is a circle about the size of a dime). These scopes must be very cheap because adjusting the focus moves the cross-hairs and anything less than fully wound-in leaves them loose. I had to settle for a blurred target and aim for the centre of the blur. I suspect it will be better at greater range.

The second gun has a 4x15 scope and results are a lot less satisfactory - I'm probably hitting an area 3 times as big. Also I noted with this gun it was much harder to get my eye in the sweet spot so there's no vignetting. Focus was less of a problem but I still kept it wound in tight.

Could this second gun be faulty? Maybe I was getting tired or it was the blustery conditions. What can I do to improve it?

Also I now have the Abbey Gun Clean oil. Where/when/how much of this should I apply?

Cheers

Tony.
                    FT.

Comment

I just spoke to the suppliers and they are replacing both scopes. They should have both been 4x20 anyway and of course adjusting the focus should not make the cross hairs move.
                      FT.

Comment

Finally got 'em

I decided to get them for my birthday last weekend. Great fun in the garden.

I'm wating on a proper target holder, gun oil and a bipod to arrive, hopefully today. If the weather clears up I'll get out there and get the scopes aligned correctly - they were way off. Without a decent support I'm too erratic to get it more accurately aligned than a couple of inches @ 30ft.

A question on pellets: There are lots of shapes available, all claiming 'for accuracy'. Are any better than others, without spending a fortune.
                        JSB Exacts are regarded by many as THE best pellet. They are also licensed under different brand names (Air Arms, FX etc.) http://www.airgunbuyer.com/details.a...s&Product=2333 Dome shaped pellets tend to fly the most stable. H&N FTT also do pretty well in a variety of guns: http://www.airgunbuyer.com/details.a...ts&Product=390

If you have a spring powered airgun, a bipod will be difficult to shoot with due to the special recoil in those types of rifles. Try with pillows or sandbags. And, start practising the artillery hold: http://www.pyramydair.com/artillery-...-article.shtml

What rifle did you get?
                        Last edited by jms; 6 September 2011, 11:55.

Comment

Also I now have the Abbey Gun Clean oil. Where/when/how much of this should I apply?
                          Put a tiny amount of oil on a cloth and wipe over the steel parts, especially where you've left fingermarks.

Comment

Somehow 'hollow point' sounds kinda lethal and wasted on a paper
                            >
                            Tony.
                            Basically standard weight hollow points are lighter (14+ grains) than other pellets of the same caliber and it shifts the c/g of the bullet rearward improving the ballistic coefficient, so with the same air/gas impulse they'll have a higher muzzle velocity, shoot flatter and are more stable. Second lightest are the wadcutters/match - the flat and slightly domed points (15+ grains) but the c/g doesn't change as much.

Which is better in a specific gun is highly variable, so try all three.

High-domed, xtra mass hollow points and straight conical are heavier, up to 18+ grains, meaning a more parabolic trajectory but they offer more penetration, just as heavier bullets do in a real gun.

So, heavier pellets have advantages in penetration, but lighter flatter shooting high ballistic coefficient pellets are usually better for crosswinds and target. This translates to real gun match competitions - the better match rounds are often lower mass hollowpoints, the 7.62mm M852 National Match being a good example.

Cleaning can also be done with cylindrical felt cleaning pellets, which scrub the barrel when shot. Next one through put a drop of oil to lube. Beeman makes 'em.
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 September 2011, 17:03.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Not a very scientific test but you get a general idea of what pellets are better (as I said earlier JSB's are regarded as the best right now). Note these are .22, dunno what calibre you've got.

I have been keeping track of the accuracy of different pellets in some of the guns I have had.... The guns used were a Magnum ...

Comment

Working...
                              X