Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mac wifi network problems

Hi

This is a query from a friend of mine. I have little experience of configuring macs and none with the Airport items mentioned. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Ta, T.

Our network seems pants – it is very slow and often drops out.

We are a Mac house – 2x desktop Macs, 2x laptop Macs, 2x Ipads, 2x Iphones.

We have a Netgear router connected to an Airport Extreme, and then an Airport Express in the kitchen to extend the network. This is partly why we think we have a problem. The coverage of the Airport Extreme should cover the whole house, but doesn't seem to. Yet when we switch off the Airport Express in the kitchen, we still get a signal from the Extreme, suggesting that the Express isn't actually boosting our signal.

We stream our music via the Express in the kitchen

We have a wifi printer connected to the Extreme. We also have a Vodaphone SureSignal box connected to the Extreme, which gives us a mobile signal thru our wifi because we have no mobile phone signal here.

For some reason we have 2 visible wifi networks – a 2.5ghz and a 5ghz network – and different devices seem to gravitate to one or the other.

---
    Cheers,

Tony.
    FT.

All networks should be connected to same subnet and have same SSID, security and key.

Comment

Is the Express in Bridge mode ?

Frequent drop outs can be a sign of interference. Try setting both wireless to N only.

Security is notorius for consuming bandwidth.

Comment

Working...
      X