G400Max dual monitor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400Max dual monitor question

Dig *way* back into those memory archives...

I've put together a Frankenstein machine to log into work remotely and do some other low intensity stuff. Cobbled together old, leftover parts. Since the motherboard is AGP, and my Radeon 9800 Pro mysteriously stopped working, I'm using my old G400Max.

I'm running dual monitors, with a bunch of telnet / putty screens (and FireFox and a few other things). Monitor 1 is 1920x1080, monitor 2 is *supposed* to be 1680x1050, but I can only get it up to 1280x1024 (which looks kinda odd next to the higher rez screen). It doesn't matter if I run 32 bit color or 16.

Am I attempting to go beyond the capabilities of the G400? It wouldn't surprise me, given how old it is, although since I can run 1920x1080 + 1280x1024 @ 32 bit, I'd think I could run higher at 16 or 24 bit. The slider for resolution on monitor 1 goes all the way up to 2048x1536, if that means anything. And if I slide it down to, say 1280x1024, the slider for monitor 2 still doesn't expand. It's like XP just can't understand the proper resolution for monitor 2. (It used to be monitor 1 - at that time it ran at 1680x1050.)

I've tried the Matrox tweak utility, but I think it only affects monitor 1. I've changed every registry entry I can find, but no joy.

So... help?

IIRC, the 2nd output was limted in res. The G450 is according to http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/pr...g_series/g450/ to 1600x1200...

You might want to join our BOINC CPDN effort. No bearing on your issue at all ;-)
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

http://www.combatsim.com/htm/aug99/g400-max.htm seems to confirm your sedcond output is limited to 1280x1024 due to the RAMDAC running at 230Mhz. The G450 had a better 2nd RAMDAC integrated into the chip IIRC.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Yeah IIRC G400 DH did 1280x1024 max in DH. I bought one cheaply once it was obsolete just to try it out.

Comment

Hah! That explains it. Oh, the hours I wasted trying to make it work. I wasn't considering a hardware "hard" limit; once I saw your explanation, I searched based on that and found references all over, including a copy of the Matrox User Manual.

Guess I'll just have to live with it until my next upgrade frees up some more capable hardware.

Thanks for your reply. Most helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X