Post here if you're having any probs with new VIA 4in1's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post here if you're having any probs with new VIA 4in1's

The new ones refused to recognize my CDRW (an Acer 2x) and windoze disabled it. The unit is installed on onboard IDE1 master/no slave. My boot drive runs on a Promise Ultra 66.

No major whoop--Just reverted to my old 4in1's and I'm OK.

--And I haven't spent any time tracking the bug down. Just interested in other experiences.

------------------
    AMD K6III 400 @ 426 On a SOYO SY5EMA M/B. Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
    CDBurner, Creative DVD, Promise Ultra 66 Controller
    two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
    Parallel Port Scanner,
    All stuffed into a Mid-tower ATX case with no device slots left!

[This message has been edited by Bixler (edited 24 February 2000).]
    Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
    CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
    Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Nothing but problems here, it hosed my hd controller and I haven't been able to get it working again yet. Everything is in MSDos compat. mode and my cel 570 with 96 meg of ram feels like my old 386sx20 with 2 meg of ram. Looks like i'm gonna have to reinstall

Comment

Via dropped the ball after 4.14 or so, these 4.20 drivers are toast.

Comment

As soon as I was about to give up I figured it out. I manually copied the files Viadsk.mpd and Viaide.vxd into /winblows/system/iosubsys/ and now all is well. I have no idea why I had to do that, I have no idea if it'll work for anyone else. But that's what I did

Comment

Hey Compton, thanks for the heads up. Probably the same problem for me since my burner is IDE. I'll try that trick when home.

Thank god my boot drive is on an Ultra66, or it would have hosed me too, and I'da been clueless.

Thank God also for "Backtrack" on my NAI Uninstaller program.
          Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
          Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

I copied the files over and my computer still works so that's ok, there is a new atapi file that requires the registry to be updated I think so you should click on the reg file or install the inf file. Can't say I noticed any improvements in performance. The install program is totally screwed up though, avoid the 4-N-1 archive and go for the individual files.

Comment

Hey Himself:

Could you post a quick and dirty step by step? Looks like I've run into the same problems with the install program, and I don't want the joy of another lonely late-night self education in how not to screw up your machine.

Comment

There's no point, wait for VIA to figure out what they are doing is all I can suggest. If they can't get the install program to work how can you expect the drivers to work?
                The vatapi file isn't even referenced in the inf file so I have no idea what they were trying to do. They must have had some help from MS lately.

Comment

Himself:

Advice taken.

Sometimes things are best left alone...

But then, Why did they waste the time to post them??

Oh well.

Comment

Thanx for the heads up on the problems,so I just installed the agp driver.
                    Never did use via's busmastering,as windows does a better job.
                    Keep that in mind when you install in the future!
                    The new agp(400)and the latest drivers for g400 seem to be working ok,though.(5.52)

Comment

Spoke too soon!
                      Via's latest agp driver(400)doesn't support ss7(designed for 133 chipset)
                      it's uninstall feature doesn't work,used previous version to uninstall,reinstalled previous version,reinstalled matrox 5.52,all is well.(was causing bsod when shutting down or restarting)

Comment

There is apparently a G200 conflict between VIA, Matrox 5.52 and Direct3D. BSOD's. G400 doesn't seem to be as troublesome. Not sure who to blame, but the new VIA AGP and DX7 worked fine with the Matrox 5.41 drivers.

RAB

[This message has been edited by RAB (edited 28 February 2000).]
                        AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Just so you know RAB: I did try the 5.52.0015 after reverting to the old VIA's and the display driver BSOD when I first loaded 3DM2K. Functioning fine in 2D, although I'll have to revert back if I want to run any Vid tools, etc. Does Matrox's TGL have to be installed with the 5.x drivers for 3DM2K to work? Sounds like we've got a clear and reproduceable bug.

------------------
                          AMD K6III 400 @ 426 On a SOYO SY5EMA M/B. Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
                          CDBurner, Creative DVD, Promise Ultra 66 Controller
                          two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
                          Parallel Port Scanner,
                          All stuffed into a Mid-tower ATX case with no device slots left!

Comment

Working...
                          X