Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to remove labels from aluminium strips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to remove labels from aluminium strips?

Hello,

I recently moved to a new apartment in Warsaw and will need to do some cleaning and renovations. On several places, they have these aluminium strips to protect edges, but they kept the bar code labels on them. I tried peeling one off, but it is impossible (I just end up with little pieces of paper and glue traces).

How do I remove the labels without them leaving traces and without damaging or scratching the aluminium?
    (my search on google led me to advise that said: don't use this method on aluminium)

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Here in thd States we have a product called Goo Gone for removing labels, adhesive residue etc

but if its bare metal without a protective clear coat you could try acetone (nail polish remover)
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

You could try a 50/50 mixture of isopropanol and triethylene glycol. Let it soak into the paper for 10 or so minutes. The paper should then peel off, hopefully with the adhesive. If the adhesive remains, re-soak it and scrub with a saturated cloth. Heat helps but flammable. Wear at least protective gloves and eye protection. Ventilate the room well and avoid breathing the vapour. The isopropanol vapour may increase the effect of consumed alcohol or cause headache in excess. The acute and chronic toxicity of the mix is reasonably low (much lower than acetone).
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
        Here in thd States we have a product called Goo Gone for removing labels, adhesive residue etc

but if its bare metal without a protective clear coat you could try acetone (nail polish remover)
        No home or shop anywhere on Earth should be without Goo Gone.
        I used some yesterday to remove a label from a plastic coated shelf.

Which reminds me, if you have anything like WD-40 that would probably work too.
        Last edited by cjolley; 2 March 2011, 11:38.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

WD-40 works fine!
          Spary it on , let ot soak through, and peel the stickers off.
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Acetone, though it might leave residue on aluminum . Try it on some other piece of aluminum first since aluminum can oxidize.

Comment

cjolley: I think the goo-gone is a US thing... we don't have it here...

The nail pollish remover worked perfectly! It also allowed me to remove the big manufacturer label on the front of the toilet bowl without leaving any traces.

I did have some explaining to do when a (female) friend asked me:
              "Do you have... no, nevermind, you won't have it."
              "What? Ask it!"
              "Well, do you have nail pollish remover?"
              "Euhm... Yes...."
              "YES?! Really?"
              "Yes, really..." - and I got the bottle...
              "Great! But... euhm... why do you have nail pollish remover?"
              pixar

Comment

Actually a lot of people who fiddle around with electronics or superglue keep acetone handy. Acetone is as far as I know the only thing which works on superglue.
                "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Yes, but it is difficult to find some of the basic products in a country that uses an entirely different language... I still have trouble finding rubbing alcohol that does not contain any additions...
                  pixar

Comment

Working...
                  X