question about connecting radio mics to camcorders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about connecting radio mics to camcorders

I need to record two people having a conversation. The camcorder (Sanyo xacti hd2000) has to sit ~3m away to get a good shot of both people at the same time.

The problem then is that the mic is too far away to pic up the speech clearly. When I did this before I put another camera close in and low down to do the audio then had to get the sound transfered during editing.

I would like to get a couple of radio mics, e.g. http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shop/au...ss-736889.html and connect the output straight to the mic input of the camera.

Seems too easy.

On the camera spec page it says

"Microphone input (plug-in power type: φ2.5mm,φ3.5mm adaptor bundled)"

Does that mean I cannot connect the output of the mic receiver directly to it? If not are there any other options?

Thanks,

T.
    FT.

Yes I think you can plug a 3.5mm jack to the camcorder from whatever you are buying. If the camera is on a tripod then your solution will work, if it's not, dragging that large receiver everywhere is a bit much.

I use something like this...

it's small and connects XLR mics to the adapter which then goes 3.5mm to the camcorder. Easy and portable since it mounts below the camera.

Comment

Thanks Elie. That's very helpful and lead me to this discussion: http://www.photography-forums.com/li...er-t49997.html

In other words my camera may take that level of input. If it doesn't then an attentuating cable should do the trick.

What I'm missing atm is the detail of what my outputs will be and inputs can handle. Crack that and we are good to go.

Cheers

T.
      FT.

Comment

Generally, mike inputs on cams have auto gain control, meaning they are very tolerant of input volts. The output of my wired lavalier is too high, though. I experimentally attenuated with two resistors whose values were determined empirically so that I just didn't get overloading with the loudest voice and then added a 12 dB safety margin. The problem with AGC is that if your wanted signal is too high, noise and hiss rises between phrases, so you may have to juggle the attenuation.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Cheers Doc, looks good. Will see if I can find one in the UK.
            FT.

Comment

The mic supplier says the receiver has a mic-level output, but I've ordered a volume control cable along with the various cables and adapters I will need just in case.
              FT.

Comment

The kit arrived today, and has everything I need in the box. After a false start with the supplied batteries all is good. It is mic-level out. The output is a mono mix. I have only connected it to my laptop so far but things seem pretty good. Been having fun in Soundbooth using the pitch and speed effects with my kids

The Gemini kit is not the most robustly built in the world but it should serve its purpose if treated delicately.

Cheers

T.
                FT.

Comment

Working...
                X