Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compact case recommendations

Hi

I need to build a couple of office systems that have to be particularly discreet because of the room they are going in. I'm looking for case suggestions that are compact and quiet, and will take the usual components. Will probably go for core i5 system with integrated gfx, a SSD drive, DVD-RW and memory card reader.

I'd rather avoid anything proprietary and all-in-one solutions.

Thanks

Tony.
    FT.

Antec Sonata
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Thanks, but that is really just a modest midi-tower. That might do but I'm looking for something smaller if poss.
      FT.

Comment

Comment

Comment

If you want to go mini-ITX small you can go with ChenBro.

SilverStone has some good stuff too.

You'll pay a slight premium for the good really small cases, as they are a niche, but there are some good ones out there.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Look into Lian-Li:
              mATX http://lian-li.com/v2/en/flashpage/v354/
              mini ITX http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product...25&ss_index=64

Comment

There are interesting m-atx boards; which will also allow you smaller case. Remember the current issues with SandyBridge; so if it will be a socket 1155 you'd better wait...

Lian Li has nice options; and very good built quality.
                If you go mini-ITX, then Fractal Design Array R2 mini looks good too; not sure about their bigger cases.
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Shuttle SFF cases?
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I just had a Fractal case show up with the plastic on the front smashed to bits during shipping.
                    Antec fans are prone to dying - stay away unless you wanna replace the fans right away.
                    Lian Li is good, although the aluminum is usually quite thin.
                    Coolermaster is generally quite good for the money. Not Lian Li quality, but pretty rugged.
                    Silverstone is awesome.
                    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will report back.
                      I see there are some capable mini-itx mobos that take the core-i processors and look quite tempting.
                      FT.

Comment

You have two worries with mini-ITX. 1) you only get a single expansion slot. 2) your power is very limited. Some, not all, mini-ITX use DC bricks instead of traditional PSUs so you're limited to about 250W total and can only use on board power (no PCIe power connectors for video cards).

Just something to be aware of. Oh, and no socket 1155 mini-ITX boards are out yet.
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yes there are: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...CNB&templete=2
                          This link/site might be interesting if you opt for the miniITX route: http://www.itxgamer.com/tools/compare/

The LianLI Q08 allows for a normal PSU to be used; it also allows for double slot videocards; I think the FractalDesign also has these things.
                          Personally though, I think that pricewise there will be very little difference between a mini-ITX based system and an mATX system: same CPU, memory, drives, maybe same PSU and the mini-ITX cases are not much cheaper. There is less room for expansion (just one slot, although some also have might have a miniPCIe in addition and some come with wifi - which is convenient if you need it), so you really should be sure that you have the size constraints.
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                          X