Sucess with 2x AGP on Athlon+G400MAX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucess with 2x AGP on Athlon+G400MAX?

I read over at AMDZONE.com's forums that mora and more people are havving success with their Geforce DDR at 2xAGP on the MSI K7Pro motherboard and the latest drivers.

Check it out: http://amdzone.pcstats.com/

Since the Gefarce DDR owners had quite the same problems withthe Athlon platform as G400MAX owners is it perhaps possible that the G400MAX has found it's best ally for the Athlon CPU?

Has eny one tested it yet?

A bit off the topic is there any one that has a Athlon platform with a Vortex 2 sound card that does not have errors in Q3A?
    If so please give me your full system specs.
    You all may think this is not important.
    BUT IT IS AMATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!

Actually, the bug with the G400 and Asus K7M Athlon mobo is that you had to force AGP2X to get it to run stable to prevent a deadly cold bootup plaid death.

This same mobo/cpu/etc setup with a GeForce 256 SDR card, though, cannot run stable in AGP2X, and the driver forces agp1x. Doing a registry hack and forcing agp2x proves that it does not run reliably on my mobo. I think that AMD fixed this in later revisions of their 751 northbridge chip. I have not tested this with the latest GeForce driver, though, to see if they reworked something in the driver to enable agp2x.

Comment

Well in the posts i stated they said it was stable at AGP 2x with the AGP miniport v4.50
      maybe there is light for us G400MAX owners after all.
      And yes i am well aware of the various probs with the G400MAX and Athlon platform.
      I simply think it has something in common with the Geforce's probs.

On my platform i have to force agp 2x at each boot to evade the plaid screen of death at next bootup - but yet it still runs at AGP 1x - and not stable.

But do not worry i have tried everything and this thread is not about my problem anyway.

Comment

G7, how close are you to rock-solid stability?

This sort of thing makes me very edgy about new motherboards. If the problem appears related to the northbridge, what can you do? Update your drivers and pray.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Strange... but i have a K7M-RM and a G400 vanilla and i have to enable AGP 1X so that my system is stable.. it's been like this ever since i got the G400.. could it be that this g400 is just a bad card? If i don't force 1x, then i randomly get system lockups with strange lines going into my screen and my mouse turns into a big block... Go figure.. i don't mind 1x, athlons are fast enough

Comment

To put it plainly, AMD is having problems making a chipset because they are not a chipset company, yet. They've got problems with agp2x and their northbridge. It is not exactly easy stuff, though. My company designed a pentium chipset, but by the time we were able to work all of the bugs out of it, we missed the market. Chalk one up to experience. I was looking forward to getting a mobo with my company's chipset, but they did not exist except for a few engineering samples.

I had no stability problems with G400 agp2x + asus K7M + athlon 700. When I was testing out a geforce card, it could not run in agp2x stable. The latest nvidia drivers and amd miniport will let it work in agp2x, but instead of crashing it has noticable hiccups.

Comment

I am close to rock solid stability.
              And i do not think it is AMD/s fault nor Matrox's.
              I think both the AMD750 and the G400 are very good products.
              I believe it is the motherboard manufacturers.

I mean to me it is quite obvious by now.
              I have spoken to hundreds of people about in and every time it comes down to this
              "I have the same peripheral as you do but it works on my MSI 6167"

I mean i have had 4 K7M motherboards including non superbypass with audio without and with super bypass ,rev 1.0 and 1.04
              It never functioned stably with my K7M.
              I also tested all my components on my friends MSI 6167 (non super bypass) and it worked through all the errors i had on the K7M.

And this goes beyond the AGP bus to the Memory and PCI bus with my Xitel storm platinum vortex 2.

Comment

I'm not the happiest camper with my Asus K7M mobo. It's been its fair share of headaches. In 20/20 hindsight, I should have gotten the a different mobo, maybe, or should have just waited till the dust settled. Maybe somebody else can learn from my mistake. I just knew that I wanted to avoid FIC because I have had tremendous headaches getting some pieces of hardware to work in 503+'s, and I thought Asus was a good solid name that I could trust. Well, the Asus board is working OK for me now.

AMD still has a lot to learn about making chipsets. Unfortunately my mobo has a C-4 stepping of the northbridge, which is one stepping before the worked out the bugs in superbypass. It is very complicated stuff, and it is very difficult to design a part that can work in all kinds of situations for a field (chipsets) you are just stepping into.

The mobo manufacturers need to be top notch as well. New technologies are really pushing the envelope of commodity motherboards. EV6 bus is going really fast, and we all remember what happened to the rambust based mobos that intel had to scrap at the last possible second. Everybody is a guinea pig these days.

Comment

I have the same problem, in agp 1x i get plaid screen on cold boots, and on agp 2x i get random freezes... help!!1
                  i have a k7m + athlon 600 + g400 32 d/h non max

Comment

hi ... so ... i tried alot to set my agp 2x ... found some manuels ... tried some regedit ... nothin helped me out ....

someone of you can help me to set my agp 2x ?? just say what to do ... :-( *snieffff*

i cannot see anymore my 3dmark2000 of 2300 ...

<<< my specs : asus k7m, k7-500,g400-dh, 2 x 128 mb kingston, 2x 16gb ibm, sb-live >>>

thanks ... perhaps email to neo@lapd.de

thx -==-> john

Comment

I use to have a fic-sd11 and a early Athlon 500(week 27)that did´nt o/c very well,so I sold it to a friend and got a brand new asus-k7m step 6.The fic board was rock stable,newer had a single crash. This board has bin nothing but trouble for the last month,but im able to run it at agp x2.
                      My dad got the same problem,but I read somewhere that it could be changed in :regedit-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/CurrentControlSet/Services/Class/Display/0000/Settings/cpu/AGPFallback = "1" insted of "0" and after that he runs in AGP x2 to.
                      k.r.
                      Michael

Comment

Thanx for the last post but i am sure we all have tried that one by now.

But as the host of this thread i want to say we are off the topic here
                        I want to know if the errors and successes of the Geforce could be directly associated to the errors and the successes of the G400 MAX?

Comment

Working...
                        X