Dodge Charger SRT8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge Charger SRT8

Chrysler introduced the 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 at the Chicago Auto Show today

Engine: 6.4-liter Hemi V-8
    Power: 465 bhp
    0-60 mph: <5 seconds
    Top end: 165 mph
    Wheels: 20" 5-spoke

No price yet, but it arrives in fall 2011
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 February 2011, 22:11.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

And 2 MPG! Is it just me or does it look like a red babel fish?
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Normally not a huge fan of Dodge cars, but, I like it.
      ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

Looks like a brick
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
          And 2 MPG!.....
          Sticker will say 14 city/19 highway, but I have a friend eho has a 2011 and he reports 18/24. Next years gets an 80hp bump, but it asso gets a fuel saver tech that shuts down cylinders when in cruise or other low-power situations.

Also will get a Harmon Kardon 900-watt, 19-speaker surround-sound system.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Man!! Where do they get their designers from...that car look hideous, like they smashed it into a concrete wall and said..."There you go"

And again typical American mentality, let's throw billions of HP, that consumes billions of gallons of expensive gas, with crappy handling, only good for 0-60 numbers.

Typical Chrysler! I would take a Ford GT over 10 of these Chargers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
              And 2 MPG! Is it just me or does it look like a red babel fish?
              I used to like how the Charger looked, but this thing...
              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

One of its major markets both in the US and overseas is as a police cruiser-interceptor. The SRT8 & other sport models are in synch with that, much like the COPO-9C1 package was to GM's supercars. The Michigan State Police use tons of 'em.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 February 2011, 15:15.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The majority of the police cars I see (in the OKC area) these days are Chargers. I rarely see what you would consider traditional police cars. In fact, I see more unmarked police vans than the latter.

Comment

So, how much does a car like this cost there and what is the status value (what kind of person usually buys this car?) For example here Passat here has the image of butcher's (small business) car. I saw actual Passat with custom licence plate "butcher".

Why would you buy a muscle car over say BMW 6 series or some hot Audi?

Comment

The cost range is anywhere from ~$24,000 to upwards of $35,000 USD depending on the style and features.

I'm not sure what the status value is for a Charger as I've seen people of all types with them. As with any muscle car though, part of it is likely to be a sense of intimidation, especially given that the police use them. Anytime I see a black one I slow down a bit.

Comment

Here highway patrols use unmarked vehicles equipped with provida monitoring system (Opel Vectra 3.2 GTS, Ford Mondeo 3.0 are known), while regular police use BMWs 3, VWs, Skodas, Renault Lagunas...

Here's a video of police chasing their own minister(ess) of internal affairs who was probably in a hurry being chauffered to shoe sales in Milano Italy. Her chauffer (employee of ministry of internal affairs and police coworker). She was caught doing 187km/h, limit is 130km/h.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                          One of its major markets both in the US and overseas is as a police cruiser-interceptor. The SRT8 & other sport models are in synch with that, much like the COPO-9C1 package was to GM's supercars. The Michigan State Police use tons of 'em.

And departments across the nation are retiring Chargers in droves: the car is fine from a mechanical standpoint, a little expensive on the maintenance side, but the real problem with the Charger is the lack of seat space: a 5' 10"+ tall fully-equipped officer cannot comfortably enter and exit the vehicle. This compounded when a Winter Jacket or Parka is introduced.

Nearly all of Arkansas LEOs have gone back to Ford Interceptors for cost and accessibility reasons.
                          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

What ever happened to the Australian made Chevy police cars they were trying to sell the the LAPD a couple of years ago??
                            paulw

Comment

The Aussie made Pontiacs and Chevys where a miserable failure.
                              We HATE seeing the GTOs come into our dealership for service. They are pieces of crap, poorly built and hard to get parts for.

We had one GTO in our dealership down for over THREE MONTHS, because we could not get a CV shaft, and there was zero aftermarket support. We literally had to wait for enough demand before the kangaroo humpers would build some, then slow-boat one to us.
                              Not a happy customer...

The basic platform will go on in Chevy (as Pontiac is officially dead), but as I understand they will be built in the US now...
                              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                              X