can't get opengl to update on X1300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't get opengl to update on X1300

My son wants to play Minecraft on his PC. Currently he has a Dell Dimention E520 (2.66GHz, 2GB) which has an ATI X1300/X1550 series (Microsoft WDDM) graphics card according to Win 7 Pro's Device Manager.

I have updated to the last Catalysts to support that card (I think 9.6)

The game is Java based and requires OpenGL 2 and up.

OpenGL Viewer shows the version as 1.1 and the renderer as Generic GDI.

How do I get the OpenGL driver to update please?

I feel sorry for Luke, he spent all weekend tidying his room with this as the anticipated reward. And to top that his PS3 has packed up.

Thanks

T.
    FT.

Not really a solution, but I've sometimes had good luck with 3DAnalyzer to get software running on a system that was not having the right specs/hardware...
    Just launch the file (no install necessary), and then launch the game from 3DAnalyzer.
    Could be a workaround...
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Many thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately they don't seem to like each other. On running the target it says 'there has been an error launching the application'.

Cheers

T.
      Last edited by Fat Tone; 8 February 2011, 07:34.
      FT.

Comment

Problem solved.

I used a three-headed sledge hammer: CCleaner, Driver Sweeper (safe mode to be sure) and installed Cats 9.1 (was previously using 10.2). Bingo. Now the game plays and OpenGL Viewer reports the graphics card as the renderer and the openGL version to be 2.something.

I suspect I just needed driver sweeper and then the latest drivers.
        FT.

Comment

I found another good tool for cleaning old drivers out of the system - "Uninstall Tool"

http://http://www.crystalidea.com/uninstall-tool

The free version won't remove the registry parts but does open regedit and shows the files to be removed. Actually finds more than dirver Sweeper.

I'm having a hell of a time with the new 11.1 and 11.1a hot fix. I had to go back to the 10.12a
          drivers for now.
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM View Post
            I found another good tool for cleaning old drivers out of the system - "Uninstall Tool"

http://http://www.crystalidea.com/uninstall-tool

The free version won't remove the registry parts but does open regedit and shows the files to be removed. Actually finds more than dirver Sweeper.

I'm having a hell of a time with the new 11.1 and 11.1a hot fix. I had to go back to the 10.12a
            drivers for now.
            I installed the latest MS hotfixes last night and it severely screwed up 11.1. Was working fine for over a week, now the damn thing won't boot without blue screening.

Gonna have to drop back to 10.11 or 10.12.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Your gonna have to uninstall all the "Microsoft Visual C++ versions" in programs and Features in addition to the current Driver stuff.

I could not go back to an older version after either 11.1 driver. I could not get the ATI catalyst Install Manger to load correctly so the installs would bomb out. At one point I had 2 different Install Manager entries in my Program list and could not remove one of them until I got the "Uninstall Tool" which found the Registry location for the residual stuff..

I had to get rid of all the C++ versions in addition to the normal uninstall, Driver sweeper routine before re-installing 10.12a successfully. Then go reinstall all the C++.
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I actually got rolled back to 10.11, which seems to be the most stable recent driver release. Just ran the newest Driver Sweeper (2.8.5) in safe mode and that did the trick. Working fine now.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                X