Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bigelow: production (+ video & inside pic of hab)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigelow: production (+ video & inside pic of hab)

Aviation Week article....

Major news is that -

they will be constructing modules close to launch sites, particularly the Kennedy Space Center

it will take 25 launches a year to supply & crew 2 fully assembled commercial space stations

they've already signed up several nations as customers - the Netherlands, Sweden, Japan, Singapore, Australia, the UK and the United Arab Emirate of Dubai. More coming.

they've been exempted from the US ITAR technology export controls. This is a biggie.

From other sources -

The first stations construction starts in 2014 with the launch of its first Sundancer module by way of a Falcon 9. Construction is largely automated and should take about 2 years. Participants will include Boeing, SpaceX, Lockheed Martin, Aerojet (propulsion bus & maneuvering engines), ORBITEC (life support) and several others.

These guys are partnered with about everyone. NASA is studying attaching one of their habs at ISS, and they're an integral part of the Nautilus-X deep space cruisers design.

Commercial Space Station (CSS) Alpha
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 February 2011, 00:13.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

The NASA Deputy Administrator took a tour of the Bigelow Aerospace facilities yesterday....

First watch this video news report (do full screen)

Sounds like NASA is going to make an announcement about the Bigelow ISS module. (article....)

When looking at the internal pic remember that this has 3X the internal volume of the ISS's largest module, and Bigelow has designs for modules 7X and 10X larger than this one. They are now building a 180,000 sq/ft production facility with a line each for Sundancer and the BA-330, as well as an integration line for fitting life support, thrusters, electricals etc.

As I've said before - these guys are for real.

Robert T. Bigelow and NASA Deputy Administrator Lori Garver

Full-scale mock-up of CSS Alpha (Sundancer to left, BA-330 to right)

Inside a BA-330 module (330 cu/m)

Land-able lunar base: covers are sacs filled with lunar regolith - a radiation/meteorite shield.
    Legged portions are air-locks and propulsion modules. The station would be assembled at
    EML-1 then landed. The entire station could be lofted again and moved to another location.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 February 2011, 08:06.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
    X