Bigelow Aerospace & EIAST (Dubai/UAE) space deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigelow Aerospace & EIAST (Dubai/UAE) space deal

Bigelow Aerospace of the private space stations, EML-1 (Lagrange point) space dock, and possibly a private lunar base.

And before you jest about Dubai and the UAE entering into this deal, understand that they are building a spaceport with Space Adventures (the outfit that sells Soyuz seats) and they have deals or are in negotiations with many space companies. Using a Bigelow private space station would of necessity bring in ULA, SpaceX etc. for crew launches.

Concept art for phase 1 of the spaceport at bottom -

Presser....

EIAST and Bigelow Aerospace sign agreement to create next-generation commercial human spaceflight programme

Dubai, 31 January, 2011: The Emirates Institution for Advanced Science and Technology (EIAST) and Bigelow Aerospace LLC, an organisation dedicated to providing affordable options for spaceflight to national space agencies and corporate clients, have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to drive joint efforts to usher in a new era in human spaceflight based on innovative technologies, affordability, commercial sustainability, and strong international partnerships.

As per the MoU, EIAST and Bigelow Aerospace will explore joint efforts to establish a next-generation commercial human spaceflight programme for Dubai and the UAE, leveraging recent advances in human spaceflight. They will work to create a world-class microgravity research and development programme with a potential focus on advanced biotechnology applications, and a variety of other commercial space-related activities.

The two organisations will work to open the frontiers of space to all of humanity, and provide citizens of Dubai and the UAE with the unparalleled opportunity to leverage the scientific, commercial, and educational benefits of orbital human spaceflight that have been previously and primarily enjoyed only by a handful of nations.

The MoU was signed by His Excellency Mr. Ahmed Al Mansoori, Director General of EIAST, and Mr. Robert T. Bigelow, President of Bigelow Aerospace.

Mr. Al Mansoori said: "The partnership of EIAST with Bigelow Aerospace is a critical next step forward for the organisation in exploring the potential for human spaceflight programmes. The MoU will not only elevate Dubai to a stronger global platform as a facilitator of commercial human spaceflight but also create more opportunities for people anywhere in the world to take advantage of our initiatives to experience the marvels of space travel."
    >
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 February 2011, 09:40.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Anything that gets us off this planet faster is a good thing.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

what an easy target that will be for anyone that wants to bring UAE's prestige down.

Comment

That could be said of anything modern they're building. More important is that their participation means another fat revenue stream for NewSpace companies.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X