No announcement yet.

Does ANYONE know how to fix this!?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does ANYONE know how to fix this!?!?!?

Hello all -
    I'm getting desperate here ... my G400 max does NOT work with my new SoundBlaster Live X-Gamer ... it doesn't matter what slot I use, or anything like that ...
    when I boot with that combination, the computer acts like the video card is not even installed, even though it is! I can install the sound card, but only if the Matrox is not in the system and vice versa.

I have a relatively new PC (PII400, 256mb) ... can ANYONE help?!?!?!

RNick

your going to have to post more of your system specs, there is a wide variety of knowledgeable people that post here and your chances are real good that some here has some usefull info.

post your irq table also, and wattage of power supply.

chucky

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 21 February 2000).]

Comment

I have a Dell PII 400, 256 mb of ram .. not sure about wattage though ...
      I'm pretty sure this will end up being an IRQ probem ... just not sure how to go about fixing it!!

Comment

What do your interrupts look like? Doesn't your MB have on-board sound? What about video? Those might have to be disabled.

-Wombat

------------------
        MSI-6167 w/ Athlon 500@750 (thx Greebe!), 128MB Crucial PC133, G400MAX,SBLive!-MP3,Pioneer 10x DVD, Phillips CD-R, a hard drive or two, and a Sony 420GS. Running RH6.1, and Win98 (when I have to).

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I don't know about the on-board sound thing ... if there is NO card installed, the machine beeps 3 times the same way it does when the SB is installed (which says it does not detect the card):
          My IRQ table is:
          01 Keyboard
          02 Programmable interrupt control
          03 modem
          04 Com1
          05 sound blaster emulation
          06 standard floppy control
          07 printer port
          08 system clock/cmos
          09 usb controller, irq holder for pci steering
          10 Ethernet card, irq holder
          11 matrox millenium g400, irq holder
          12 mouse
          13 numeric data processor
          14 bus master ide controller, primary ide controller
          15 secondary ide controller.

Comment

RNick

i don't know about your board but mine does not like the usb on irq 9...try it!

3 beeps huh..if my memory serves me correctly thats a "base 64k" memory problem, try re-seating the first memory module. if your not comfortable doing this, grab your techie friend, or someone who can help

chucky

Comment

The only thing about that is that the machine works fine as long as the combination of Matrox/SB isn't present ... so I'm not sure it's the memory thing. I used to to tech support at my college, so I thought this would be an easy problem ... 4 days ago!!!
              I'll try the reseat anyways -can't hurt!

Comment

You said your not sure about OnBoard Sound. In you irq's you listed SB emulation on irq5. This sounds like old drivers which is a problem, or onboard sound. Make sure you dont have onboard sound. If you dont, go into SafeMode and remove all devices under sound. Post again.

PS. Have you searched the forum for similar problems.

------------------
                PIII 450 @ 504
                generic BX motherboard
                G400 MAX : )
                Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
                Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
                Creative 36x CD-ROM
                HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
                64 megs PC100 RAM
                128 megs PC133 ECC RAM
                NetGear 10/100
                Soundblaster 32 AWE
                Diamond SupraExpress 56k
                Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
                1 92mm Sunon Fan
                4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Comment

FYI - You probably have a 200-W power supply.

Comment

I suggest using a 20 lbs. steel sledge hammer and some safety goggles. It will definately make you feel good once you are done. The only downside is the pocketbook drain when you have to buy a new computer.

Seriously, if all else fails (as in you've tried everything and you are stumped) try the following:

1) Pull out all your peripherals from your computer and yank the floppy and hgard drive cables from the board. Keep only the power, light/switch connectors, RAM and CPU plugged into the motherboard.

2) Turn on the computer and wait. You should recieve the no-video found beeps, which is 1 long, 3 short. If you receive only the 3 short (not 1 long before the 3 short) then power down, reseat your RAM and try again.

3) Power down, install ONLY the G400, plug in the monitor and turn it on. If you get video and no bad POST messages then you are back in business. Enter the BIOS, reset the BIOS to default setting and reboot.

4) Power down, plug everthing back in how you want it and see if it works.

I know that many Dell computers have intgrated video and sound cards built into them. Make sure any integrated video or sound card is Disabled in the BIOS. I know I forget to do that sometime when I am upgrading Dell's.

That just about covers it. If you cannot get away from the 3 short, without the 1 long before it, then it may be a RAM problem. Just my $0.02.

Jammrock

------------------
                    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

RNick,
                      Is the IRQ list you posted before or after installing the X-Gamer? If its before, then the Sound Blaster Emulation indicates on board sound. This definitely needs to be disabled before you put in the new sound card. Check you manuals or with Dell on how to turn off on board sound. One way is to disable it in Device Manager by checking the box at the bottom of the properties that says "Disable in this hardware profile". Only then can you install the X-Gamer.

If the IRQ list is after you installed the X-Gamer, then something is definitely missing. It does not show any device drivers for the X-Gamer. Have you installed the drivers?

You are not alone, lots of folks have had trouble with G400's and X-Gamer cards. It seems to be one of the more common problems here, so you might do a search on Sound Blaster and read some of the threads.

RAB

Opps! Sorry Dyre, I missed your reply as I red through the thread. As they say, "weak minds think alike".

[This message has been edited by RAB (edited 21 February 2000).]
                      AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

People keep refering to the sound blaster emulation as being on board audio, infact its not. Its a 16 bit sound blaster emulator that is created for use with DOS games and other utilities where the SBLive! may not not be supported.

----Hex

------------------
                        "There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people"
                        "There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people"

Comment

Well, yes, Hex, if you want to be precise about it, but I think the relevant question that people are asking is:

<u>Where is the sound device that is emulating SB16</u>???

In the absence of a listing for a PCI audio device, I think we are assuming that this emulation must be coming from an onboard audio chip.

RNick, check your BIOS settings and see if there is some kind of ability to disable such a chip. Or it could be in your manual, if you have such a one for the motherboard or system.

Does Dell's site give detailed specs for its systems? If so perhaps we can find out what motherboard is actually in there... or maybe you could see if the manufacturer and model is marked on the board itself....
                          And btw, should we not be maybe looking to get some sharing going between either the USB and the NIC, or the NIC and the G400... that X-Gamer has no place to put the Multimedia multifunction master device in
                          the first place, if the NIC, USB and G400 are all agressive....

Are you even using USB at this time? Turn it off (remove the device from Device Manager and disable "Assign IRQ to USB" in the BIOS if you have such a setting {Integrated Peripherals in the Award BIOS, I think}) and try again to install the X-Gamer, then if you need it, let Windows find a place for the USB after these other devices are sorted out.

Just a concept....

--------------------------
                          Holly

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 21 February 2000).]

Comment

Some MoBos have a dedicated SB-Live connector ... have a look into your manual if that applies to your machine.
                            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                            LG BH10LS38
                            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Dells usually use Intel MoBos with very little customization available in the BIOS. That said I have installed a SB LIVE in a Dell M200x (I think, whatever the model number it is a P200MMX). There is a place in the BIOS to disable onboard sound.

-In Device Managers remove all sound board devices (on-board or on sound card -incl game port(s))
                              -Shut down, remove SB if still in.
                              -Reboot.
                              -Enter BIOS setup (I think it's DEL on post).
                              -Disable on board devices for game port, sound, and/or video(don't think you have that but figured I'd through it in incase).
                              -Save changes and exit.
                              -Reboot (with G400 in, SB out) to windows.
                              -If everthing is working OK and no sound devices in Device Manager, Shut down.
                              -Install SB.
                              -Bootup.
                              -Windows will (well should) find your sound hardware on your X-Gamer (direct it to drivers if they are not there).
                              -Reboot (again)
                              -Enjoy (hopefully)

Give it a try and let us know

Mark F.

------------------
                              OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                              and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                              and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
                              X