Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVD? G400 + Drive & Software OR Drive & Hardware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD? G400 + Drive & Software OR Drive & Hardware?

Hey there...
    I'm about to up-grade my CD-ROM to a DVD. I have a G400DH32, PII450, 192mbRAM. I WAS going to go for a Creative Encore 8x Kit with decoder card, however - having just been round to my mates at lunch time, I viewed The Matrix on a stand-alone drive (Toshiba I think) with the Power DVD player. He has a similar processor, 128mbRAM and a TNT232mb. I was quite impressed, but having never seen DVD played with hardware - cannot compare. Has anyone been able to compare? What way should I jump? If I just get a drive is a Creative one OK?
    Yeah I know, this is probably a common question these days, but I know nothing about DVD, I have (and are about to again) looked at some DVD sites, but things don't seem to be clear-cut in my view.
    So... any advice would be absolutely BRILLIANT and VERY much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Jas
    MiNIoN
    helixx_@hotmail.com

Get a PIONEER 104 and try the software solution. It looked great on a G400/16MB/SH
    not overclocked and a PIII 500 not o'ced, running smooth with "Blade". The PII 450 should not be much slower and you can spare the PCI slot. The Creative drive isn't that great as a normal CD-ROM.

Regards, Alegria

------------------
    The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
    Bob Dylan

The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
    Bob Dylan

Comment

I would get the Pioneer 104. Then try software. If you still really think that you want hardware decoding, then you can pick up just about any Sigma Designs card for about $60, and the remote for $20. The Creative Dxr3 runs the Sigma chip, and from what I hear, most of the cards are close to a reference design.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

No need for a decoder card ...

I use the Pioneer S303 (SCSI) on my Celeron 333A@500 and my G400 32MB DH gives me the best picture I have ever seen on my 16:9 Sony 28" BigScreen TV !

Your P2 should have any problems using the enclosed Cinemaster software DVD player to give you very pleasing DVD playback.
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I agree.

With my system, and with yours, you will get better performance with software decoding than hardware. I have seen both a DxR2 and a DxR3 and they pale in comparison to what my G400 and either the Matrox DVD player or with PowerDVD 2.55. This is either on the monitor or via TV-out.

In fact, mty picture looks better than a stand-alone DVD player. At least, I think and my friends as well.

Another thing to consider is that the codecs for software decoding can be upgraded a) much more easily, b) much more often. Than their hardware counter-parts.

I would suggest the Pioneer 104 (slot load) and then buy a SBLive! or other card that has a digital out. Reason for the soundcard is that they can do a digital pass-thru and I get Dolby Digital for movies!!! I would be getting DTS as well if I had a DTS capable reciever, but, alas... next upgrade.

BTW: my reciever is a Yamaha HTR-5140..

CB

------------------
          Abit BX6 Rev.1
          Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
          192 meg RAM, CAS2
          13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
          6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
          HP8110i 4x2x24
          Pioneer DVD-104
          SB Live! 1024
          USB ZIP 100
          G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM
          Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
          Abit BX6 Rev.1
          Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
          192 meg RAM, CAS2
          13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
          6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
          HP8110i 4x2x24
          Pioneer DVD-104
          SB Live! 1024
          USB ZIP 100
          G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
          Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
          YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

Thanks for the awesome replies everyone - much appreciated !
            MiNIoN
            helixx_@hotmail.com

Comment

Even on my P2-350 (not o/c) with 64MB ram, and G400DH32MB, the picture is stunning using WinDVD 2000. Definitely go software. I highly recommend the SBLive too, as the sound going through my 5.1 amp is very impressive as well.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
              X