My Cebit report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Cebit report

First of all, Matrox has nothing new to say. I really gave them some hard questions but the only thing they are saying was "G450? We did not announced it yet, so we are not allowed to give you infos yet, please leave your card so that we can send you infos if we have them". The same with the "not yet announced" G800. But with 3DFX they were the only graphics firm who know what they are talking about, I'll tell you that later.

3DFX=3 words: Anti Aliasing rocks!
    You must see it to really know what "no aliasing" means. Every game I could play with AA turned on (in fact there were only 2 games with AA on, some snowboard thing and Revolt)(and check out Star Trek Elite force! this game is so cool! "WE ARE BORG") can only be described as "Ultra Sharp". But as I asked which AA was used, 2x or 4x, they didn't gave me an answer, the same as I asked if there is a Vodoo 5 6000 board running. I suppose there are only 2 Chip solutions running and some Voodoo 4's as there were games were you could not enable AA per key.
    I would like to say that it is impressive (AA) but not if you play at a resolution of 1280x1024 or higher. Then the gain in image quality is not that much.

Diamond/S3 and ATI:
    Oh god, these people are so stupid. I headed to Diamond S3 and saw a Version of UT running with the normal texture resolution. I asked a buddy if he can give me an answer which cards where running. The answer was:"S3 Cards". Then I:"Ach, echt?"( something like:"hmm, really?").
    Then I wanted to be informed whats up with the Metal API support in the savage 2000 chip and why it has not be included in hardware. The guy didn't even knowed what a Savage 2000 is nor what S3TC/DXTC or Metal is. He wanted to asked some other guys and was never seen again. Nearly the same at ATI ("We have DXTC support in the Rage 128 Pro? Aha?").

Then i went to AMD, my firm of love. Last year there were only some people from Texas whom I could not understand in any way (only some words). But these guys knowed what they talked about. Not so the guys from Dresden.
    Whant an Example? Ok:
    Q: What a processor is running that 3DMark2000 there?
    A: An Athlon
    Q: MHz?
    A:???????????
    Then I closed the thing and so that it was a 650 one.
    I asked him if there is a processor running with on die L2 cache
    A: L2 what? and who died?
    Then he caught I guy who could me give some Answers but not when dresden begins to ship Thunderbirds.

So it went all along, I was tiered and after doing some jobs for my firm, I went home.
    And I'm sure, the next year will come and I'll be on the Cebit. The Chicks there are living SEX!

Mega

[This message has been edited by MegaManX4 (edited 25 February 2000).]
    K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
    G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Isn't it great having to deal with marketing guys about technical issues ?

LOL

Thanx for you input, Mega !!!

I hope I'll find some time for myself to hop over to Hangover too ...
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

The reason why gamers build their own computers:

"Excuse me sir, but how fast is the CPU in this computer?"

"Hi, I'm Darell from sales, this my parnter Larry from Marketing and my other partner Larry from food services."

"Good to meet you, now how fast is the CPU in this computer?"

"Faster than you will ever need again in your entire life, you wanna buy it?"

"Not until I get some straight answers from you. How fast, in Megahertz, is the CPU in this computer?"

"How'd you know my back does mega hurts? Have you been stalking me? You better buy this computer before I file stalking charges against you boy."

"It's obvious that you have no clue what you are talking about, is there someone else I can talk to?"

"No, this is a commision based job so whoever talks to you first is your saleman for life! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

"Fine I'm leaving."

"You can't leave yet, you haven't bought this computer. If you don't buy this computer then my 8 kids will starve to death."

"You should have learned how to use birth control, see ya!"

Jammrock - Wondering just how stupid his story really is...

------------------
      Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Sounds like the German division of S3 (and maybe some of the others) have implamented the newest feature: LMAA!!

Hmmm...would that be marketing or hardware (might even qualify as software).

Mark F.

------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
        and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
        --------------------------------------------------
        and burped out a movie

Comment

If memory serves me correctly, LMAA in German means (roughly translated) Kiss My Arse in English. Is this right?
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yup!!

Sound about what we want to tell them when we get those kinds of responces.

Mark F.

------------------
            and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
            --------------------------------------------------
            and burped out a movie

Comment

Kiss my Arse? I thought it was "kiss my Ass".
              Hmm, must be the american version.

Why bother with S3? These guys are nuts. Matrox has some really trained people there who can really represent that firm (The even knowed what EMBM means!). In fact they give the same information as Matrox PR. Nothing

Mega

Go to Cebit if you can, it's worth a try. Those Chicks are awesome. And there was something called computers but that's not that interessting.

[This message has been edited by MegaManX4 (edited 26 February 2000).]
              K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
              G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Working...
              X