Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I could cure cancer, but my laptop was stolen ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could cure cancer, but my laptop was stolen ...

no clue how valid that cure-cancer stuff is, but how stupid can you be not to have backups of your 2-or-more-years scientific work ....

Today's "Dude, you got to back up your data!" public-service announcement comes courtesy of Sook Shin, a university researcher who says her stolen laptop contained years worth of data related to a possible cure for prostate cancer.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20028475-1.html

R.
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Some people only realize about backups, when its too late.

They then have to be taught what IS a backup device for storage ?

DVD ? CD ? Tape ?

For me, it would be Magneto-Optical, but a RAID array, or Multiple DVD's might do it.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I use an inexpensive 320GB external USB drive for laptop backups and WHS for the family computers.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I wanted to go WHS 2.0 (Vail). How do ou feel about DE being canned? I am now considering a Drobo but I really liked Vail in the sense that it'd have automatic backups, easy recovery, redundancy noob-style, external backup (of backups, files/shares and system) and on top of that could act as server for streaming or whatnot.

Plus, it is relatively cheap compared to larger NAS solutions...
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I don't care if DE is canceled because WHS 1 was rubbish and I wouldn't put any data I care to loose on DE. WHS2 is just plain Windows with a dashboard.

Nowadays WD Green 2TB drives are so cheap you can pay slightly more for two than you used to pay for a reasonable 7200 RPM large drive and two for the price of equal sized contemporary enterprise drive.

So you just buy a big case and make RAID1 and use network shares for backup.

The Linux NAS distros are good as well but as soon as you want to do extra stuff it becomes hard.

Windows 7, 2008 R2 (essential server, SBS 2011) is also good, especially if you can get a free licence through work/MSDN/Technet.

That or Drobo since nothing else offers simple capacity expansion while being cost effective.

Comment

WHS 1 wasn't very good until PowerPack 2. Since then it has been a good product.

WHS2 is basically a Windows NAS front-end based on a scaled down Windows Server 2008 R2. Instead of using DE it relies on RAID for redundancy.

More than likely you'll see R1 and R5 WHS2 OEM boxes. It is actually more redundant this way. WHS1 with DE only stores parts of your data across two drives, while other data, like your backups, stay on only a single disk. With a RAID all your data is redundant.

On the flip side you now have the drawbacks of RAID, namely IO processor intensive for certain RAID levels and an automatic disk space hit. The idea with WHS2 is it's cheaper and more reliable to use two 2TB drives in a tried-and-true R1 than to user smaller disks with disk extender which, in it's early renditions, had a tendency of corrupting your data.

I haven't played with WHS2 yet. I plan on building a micro-ESXi server this year for all my server needs. I'll play with WHS2 once that's built.

PS - Drobo's are nice but they are WAY expensive. Especially if you want the Ethernet capable version. They are the Apple of the NAS world. Pretty boxes which are very expensive that live in their own proprietary world and work well for a very only for a very specific set of functionality. For the same price as a diskless DroboFS I could build a low-power 4 or 6 core server with drives, run ESXi and throw on FreeNAS for iSCSI, a DC and WHS for backups.
            Last edited by Jammrock; 14 January 2011, 20:40.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thx gys.

Utiwg, AFAIK, backing up to network shares requires Pro or ultimate versions which are more expensive. Automated backups (wake-on lan by server) etc are really nice. WHS would make you do that easy (I'm a complete noob on network and back/restore).

Jamm, yes, it's RAID 1 now but only as M$ canned DE for WHS recently. I thought the main issue with WHS1 was not that it did not duplicate backups (which AFAIK it can if you want to) but that it (a) did not provide for external backups (automated) and not for system partition backup at all.

Guess I'll have to read into ESXi (WTFaggot is that), FreeNas etc.

Finally, as I understand it, most, if not all, NASses are linux-based and have slower network performance compared to windows networks (given that we run windows on our desktops)?
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

You don't have to back-up entire PC the whole time. I have a list of programs to install and then I can make an image. After that I only need to back-up stuff I create (documents, work, pictures) and archive music and movies.

So for back-ups of profile you can use something like sync-toy which is free and just sync your documents, pictures, ... from your PC to server and then have server make a weekly back-up to another preferably external drive.

My setup is SBS 2003 (64-bit Sempron 1.6 on a budget Gigabyte NF4 board with 4 SATA ports, videocard is Matrox Millennium PCI) running Exchange to which I sync my Outlook and contacts from my cell phone. Then I sync documents from my profile to a share on the SBS and have SBS do backup of Exchange, System state and profiles to another internal drive.
                Last edited by UtwigMU; 15 January 2011, 03:40.

Comment

SOS Backup

A 5 system 100G 3 year license costs $199.95

Web file access etc. Works nicely.

Windows, iPhone & iPad only though.
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 January 2011, 11:34.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Besides Ghosts of new OS installs before and after driver & major s/w installs, incrementals, RAID5 of some data and the RAID1 NAS -

SOS Backup....

A 5 system, 100G, 3 year license costs $199.95

Web file access etc. Works nicely.

Windows, iPhone & iPad only though.
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 January 2011, 11:57.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                    X