North American Auto Show Car/Truck Of The Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North American Auto Show Car/Truck Of The Year

Interesting that 2 of the 3 finalists in the auto division were EV's: Volt and Leaf. The Sonata was the 3rd.

That new explorer is COOL! Besides being really nice inside it has a Terrain Management System which lets you select the surface you're driving on and sets up the suspension for it. It also has Curve Control monitors vehicle position, wheel angles, and speed to help stability.

NY Times....

Volt Is Car of the Year; Explorer Is Truck of the Year

The 2011 Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid continued to rack up accolades, winning the North American Car of the Year award. Joining General Motors on the victory podium was Ford, whose all-new Explorer won top honors in the truck category.

Volt was voted Green Car of the Year at the Los Angeles auto show last November. For Ford, the new Explorer is a radical departure from the old truck-based S.U.V. that formerly wore that nameplate.

A jury of 49 journalists from the United States and Canada voted in the competition, which recognized vehicles that were leaders in their category. While only North American journalists voted, all new or “substantially changed” vehicles from anywhere in the world were eligible. Finalists on the car side included the Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Sonata and Volt. Joining the Explorer among truck finalists were the Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The Volt’s win was the fourth North American Car of the Year award for G.M., while the Explorer’s win was the seventh North American Truck of the Year award for Ford, which has dominated the truck category.

In choosing a winner, the journalists were asked to consider factors including innovation, design, safety, handling, driver satisfaction and value. The finalists were selected from a field of 14 cars — four were domestic models and 10 were imports — and 14 trucks. The truck category included five Detroit brands and nine imports.

In the voting, which is based on a point system, the Volt and the Explorer dominated. The Volt received 253 points, the Sonata 163 and the Leaf 94. In the truck voting, the Explorer had 253 points, the Jeep 138 and the Durango 99.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 January 2011, 08:39.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

How reVolting!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Another interesting car is the all new Chrysler 300. Fiat's influence is already showing in the new body work, and there's much more European-style attention to detail inside. One new thing I noticed is the cup holders: they can be heated or cooled to suit the beverage, and if the temp control is turned on a ring around the holders opening glows red or blue. On the dash things look rather classy to ny eye.

The 300 gets the new international Pentastar V6, which will also be in Fiat and Daimler vehicles. This gets mated to an all new 8-speed automatic. Pentastar is an advanced, efficient design that replaces 7 other engines.

300 dash
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 January 2011, 09:34.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm not liking the current trend of SUVs. It looks like they are all turning into minivans for the sake of gas milage. Lower to the ground, smaller motors, lower profile tires, etc.

7.6 inches of ground clearance? ('11 explorer). That would get beached on some of the rougher boat launches in Manitoba. That is even lower than the Ford Edge, which is more of a crossover than SUV. I really don't think they should call it the "Explorer" anymore, unless they add the word "urban" in front of it.
        Last edited by Mehen; 10 January 2011, 20:20.
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by Mehen View Post
          I'm not liking the current trend of SUVs. It looks like they are all turning into minivans for the sake of gas milage. Lower to the ground, smaller motors, lower profile tires, etc.

7.6 inches of ground clearance? ('11 explorer). That would get beached on some of the rougher boat launches in Manitoba. That is even lower than the Ford Edge, which is more of a crossover than SUV. I really don't think they should call it the "Explorer" anymore, unless they add the word "urban" in front of it.
          well - the ground clearance I go with, but by 2014 that Pentastar V6 will be available as a single or twin turbo with up to 420 bhp on 87 octane fuel. It's also got a wide power band, with 90% of its torque available from 1,600 to 6,400 rpm. Variable valve timing, chain driven DOHC-24v, canister free oil filtration, intake manifolding built into the heads, etc.

Just found out they'll also be used in Lancia and Alfa Romeo vehicles.
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 January 2011, 20:42.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I guess it isn't as big of a deal elsewhere, but the roads here are TERRIBLE. Potholes, snow, gravel roads in the country, then theres all the places I try to get to go fishing. Even our main roads and highways are terrible.
            If I am buying a truck, I want ground clearance, 4wd, torque, and lots of space. If I don't need those things, I'll buy a minivan.
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
              I really really wish they would stop with making cars feel like a race car, with a center console, which makes tall people unable to sit comfortably
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I feel for 'ya.

I'm 6' 1.5" and wear size 15 4E or 14 F shoes. Try finding a vehicle with foot wells big enough for those boats. The problem is finding pedals far enough apart that I don't hit the gas and brakes at once.

Then there is head room - I need lots, and in many cars I bang my head on full length overhead consoles getting in. Once I hit it at a dealership and had to get stitches after bleeding all over the car

Dodge Caravans are a decent fit, and so are most trucks & SUV's. It's a problem in some cars and racers, unless I install an adjustable pedal box.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 January 2011, 13:09.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

yeah, so you are basically to my shoulders, as I am 6'8" shoes, size 15 3E.. I know I am not the norm they are designing for, but really, if the center console was not there, I would fit in just about anything. I currently drive an impala, which has a bench seat, which is great. lots of room, the family minivan I can even drive, a Toyota Sienna, though it is not as good.
                  If these designers actually tried testing with a tall person, they would find out just how little has to change to make us fit well
                  We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
                  X