Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV streaming

Hello,

Ok, I'm planning a new system here (finally have the opportunity to do so) to replace the one UPS dropped last year. What I would like in functionality is a PC that acts as media server, tv server and client.

What software allows me to stream live tv broadcasts over my lan? I suspect MediaPortal allows it, as it offers a TV server. But can you install server and client on the same PC? Any other softwares that allow it (is it possible with Windows Media Center and some plugin)?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

try mythbuntu ?

Comment

On the Windows side, Win7 Home Pro and above has media serving tech built in. I can stream from my desktop to my DirecTV satellite boxes, or to other PCs, without much issue. DirecTV is very picky about codecs, but between PCs there is no issue.

You can also get cheap set top media extenders for windows media as well. Any DLNA capable device should work too. I have a friend that streams to his PS3 from Vista, obvisouly to an Xbox360 will work too.

Find help and how-to articles for Windows operating systems. Get support for Windows and learn about installation, updates, privacy, security and more.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

degrub: I was planning on keeping it a windows machine...

Jammrock: I believe Windows 7 cannot stream live TV from a tuner in the computer...? Windows Media Encoder can do this, but it requires a lot of configuration for a single setup. MythTV (as degrub posted) can do it.

I've learned MediaPortal can do it (you set up a TV server), but I'm not too fond of its interface. Some searching led me to http://dvblogic.com/ , and while its documentation is fairly basic, I have the impression is can do what I want using Windows Media Center (from forums I learned it adds virtual tuners to the clients; thus working with almost any software above it)... Any thoughts on this product?

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
        X