Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD: possible to add subtitles?

Hello,

A weird question... For Christmas, I got a DVD with some Danish detective series ("The Killing", "Forbrydelsen"). The DVD only contains Dutch subtitles and Danish language.

I usually rip my dvds to iso files, and I also intend to rip these. I would like to add English subtitles though....
    Is it possible to add additional subtitles to the rip? Or is it possible to display srt files while playing back a dvd?
    (any source of the subtitles? it is a 5 dvd box)

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

VobSub is the traditional tool. I'm sure there are others but this is the only one that comes to mind.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Interesting (and a decent alternative solution)!
      But is there a way of not adding them in the video frames? E.g. display an srt file even though the source playing back is a dvd (or dvd iso image)?
      I could probably convert the dvd chapters to avi files, and display the srt files when these avis are playing, but is it possible without having to convert?

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

oh, yeah, in that case just make a subtitle file or merge the subtitle file into a file format like MKV (which seems to be the most popular). Anime fansubs use the MKV format a lot, as do pirated movies...or so I'm told.

MakeMKV - software to convert blu-ray and dvd to mkv

MKVToolNix is a set of tools to create, alter, split, join and inspect Matroska files(mkv).

I've never done it before so I don't have a preferred tool, but I've used a lot of MKVs.

Comment

Thanks!
          It means I'll have to convert them from the DVD format... I was hoping to avoid that (overlay the subtitles while playing the DVD), but it is not that converting is a difficult process...

It is stupid: most DVDs you buy in Belgium are stripped of all subtitles apart from Dutch (and French). Why don't they just put all the subtitles on there? It is not a big amount of data...

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
            Thanks!
            It means I'll have to convert them from the DVD format... I was hoping to avoid that (overlay the subtitles while playing the DVD), but it is not that converting is a difficult process...

It is stupid: most DVDs you buy in Belgium are stripped of all subtitles apart from Dutch (and French). Why don't they just put all the subtitles on there? It is not a big amount of data...

Jörg
            I'm sure pro-grade DVD authoring soft can do what you want, but I've never used the high end stuff.

They don't put them on there to make pirating harder. If you released a DVD with the max 32 subtitle tracks someone could rip and release it to the world with virtually no effort at all.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
              Thanks!

Jörg
              I'm sure pro-grade DVD authoring soft can do what you want, but I've never used the high end stuff.

They don't put them on there to make pirating harder. If you released a DVD with the max 32 subtitle tracks someone could rip and release it to the world with virtually no effort at all.

Comment

Yes, but authoring will be even more complex than converting to a video format and overlaying an srt file. I was hoping srt overlay was possible in real time, while playing back the dvd (as it is possible when playing back another video file), but can see where the problems rise to synchronise it.

Thanks for the help; I'll convert them and add subtitles (now I have the problem of finding the subtitles, so far no luck...).

I hadn't thought of the piracy issue...
                pixar

Comment

Here we just use BSPlayer or some other player that can display subtitles (txt, srt, sub) and download subtitles for the release from site like podnapisi.net

If you need to change rate of subtitles (sometimes you download NTSC subtitles with lower framerate and need to change them for PAL) or split (2 CD relase 1 CD subtitles) or merge (2CD release you downloaded is not cut where the subs are cut) there is great free program called Subtitle Translator.

I recently watched some Swedish thrillers and got Slovenian subtitles for all parts, though I had to change where subtitles for one part were split.
                  Last edited by UtwigMU; 11 January 2011, 19:30.

Comment

I normally do the same with MPC-HC, but overlaying subtitles while playing back a dvd is not possible... :-)

Thanks for the Subtitle Translator recommendation, it is a problem I've often ran into...

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Adobe Encore CS5 can add subtitles.

Comment

BS Player can display srt subs with mkv video with already embedded another subs (you pick which subs to display). Recently discovered this when the embedded subs disappeared after 1h of video.

Comment

Our Sony S470/S570 BR decks play .mkv/h.264 files w/ .srt subtitles on USB thumb drives (or SD's in adapters) attached to the decks USB port. Haven't tried them on dvd's yet.

Darned things connect to youtube, netflix, hulu plus and amazon.com ppv too. So much tv & movie content we cut off all our premium services except for hbo - and as soon as True Blood shows up online that's gone too.
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 January 2011, 23:49.
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                          X