Missing "2001" footage found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing "2001" footage found

Warner recently discovered >17 minutes of fully edited footage from Stanley Kubrick's 2001 in their undergound salt mine storage in Kansas. This footage was cut just before the film was released and has been missing for decades.

Included -

a schoolroom on the moon base
    a painting class that included Kubrick's daughters
    additional scenes of life on the base
    Floyd buying a bush baby from a department store by videophone
    more daily life on Discovery
    additional space walks
    Bowman retrieving a spare part from an octagonal corridor
    additional cuts from the Poole murder sequence
    the entire space walk preparation and shots of HAL turning off radio contact with Poole
    explaining the non sequitur of HAL's response to Bowman's question

Sounds like a special edition BR/DVD is on the way.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 December 2010, 09:14.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Sweet, hours of breathing to go through again
    Great film though.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
      Warner recently discovered >17 minutes of fully edited footage from Stanley Kubrick's 2001 in their undergound salt mine storage in Kansas. This footage was cut just before the film was released and has been missing for decades.

Included -

a schoolroom on the moon base
      a painting class that included Kubrick's daughters
      additional scenes of life on the base
      Floyd buying a bush baby from a department store by videophone
      more daily life on Discovery
      additional space walks
      Bowman retrieving a spare part from an octagonal corridor
      additional cuts from the Poole murder sequence
      the entire space walk preparation and shots of HAL turning off radio contact with Poole
      explaining the non sequitur of HAL's response to Bowman's question

Sounds like a special edition BR/DVD is on the way.
      Sounds like it. Could be worth it. Wonder who's music they will use . Some Alex North this time??
      paulw

Comment

I remember seeing 2001 when I was a kid, nothing seemed to happen so I started to fast forward and ended up seeing the whole movie on fastest fast forward possible and still it was like watching paint dry, and now it can become 17 minutes longer?!?
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
          I remember seeing 2001 when I was a kid, nothing seemed to happen so I started to fast forward and ended up seeing the whole movie on fastest fast forward possible and still it was like watching paint dry, and now it can become 17 minutes longer?!?
          Ohhh, yeahhh, baby!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
            You haven't seen Solyaris or other Tarkowsky movies.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
              You haven't seen Solyaris or other Tarkowsky movies.
              OMG yes! Never will forget the driving scene in Solaris where all you see is a windshield view that lasts 5-10 minutes. I believe they call it Tarkowsky's 'immersion in boredom'
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

While I can appreciate finding "lost" footage of a classic movie, I can't bring myself to be in any way excited about footage that Kubrick purposely cut.

I almost have to echo Technoid's sentiment. I love this movie, but it definitely does not need to be any longer.

[Update] Warner Brothers responds:

“The additional footage from 2001: A Space Odyssey has always existed in the Warner vaults. When [director Stanley] Kubrick trimmed the 17 minutes from 2001 after the NY premiere, he made it clear the shortened version was his final edit. The film is as he wanted it to be presented and preserved and Warner Home Video has no plans to expand or revise Mr. Kubrick’s vision.”
                Last edited by Jessterw; 21 December 2010, 18:06. Reason: News Update
                “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
                X