A good start for Michigan jobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good start for Michigan jobs?

Not to mention a ton of folks being hired in battery and other businesses related to auto electrification.

The more hybrids & EV's they make, the cheaper it will be, and in local media GM is making it clear that they plan on going hybrid/EV up and down their lineup. Most of these new jobs will be at the GM Tech Center in Warren, MI and directly involved in auto electrification.

Also; today the Chevy Volt production lines started. The first will go into an auto museum and the second will be auctioned off for charities.

As for Chrysler; it looks like the Fiat buyout was a good thing. They've made a lot of overdue changes, cut out a lot of deadwood and re-started product development. They're making money again, and some of their new models are very interesting - especially the sleek Chrysler 200C. Base engine will be a 4-banger with the all-new Pentastar V-6/6-speed optional and a Volt-like driveline down the road.

GM to hire 1,000 in Michigan

The Detroit News....

General Motors Co. will add 1,000 engineers and researchers in Michigan over the next two years to work on technology behind vehicles like the Chevrolet Volt.

Beginning today, the new hires will work to expand GM's vehicle electrification expertise to lead in the development of hybrids to electric vehicles with extended-range capability like the Volt.
    >
    Chrysler hiring 1,000 as it works on new lineup

The Detroit News....

Chrysler Group LLC needs 1,000 additional engineers and high-tech employees to work on its future product lineup.

The automaker is actively recruiting on 35 college campuses and encouraging resumes in a bid to add the professionals by April of next year.
    >
    The automaker has hired close to 5,000 new employees, both hourly and salaried, since June 2009. Included in that figure are at least 500 engineers, many of them contract employees.

Of the 1,000 new hires going forward, about 60 percent will be on the payroll and 40 percent will on contract, said spokesman Mike Palese.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 November 2010, 16:09.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Looks like Obama's bail-outs bring fruit!!!

(posted just to annoy you, not to take it to a political level!)
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
      As for Chrysler; it looks like the Fiat buyout was a good thing. They've made a lot of overdue changes, cut out a lot of deadwood and re-started product development. They're making money again, and some of their new models are very interesting - especially the sleek Chrysler 200C. Base engine will be a 4-banger with the all-new Pentastar V-6/6-speed optional and a Volt-like driveline down the road.
      The sad part is that Fiat is thinking of producing a Maserati SUV from the Jeep Cherokee body frame. So you will be able to buy a Cherokee with a Chrysler engine or with a Maserati Engine.
      Being a Maserati fan for a long time, this news is dissapointing because a few years ago, Maserati also partnered with Chrysler and the result was an abomination called the Chrysler TC.

Fast forward to now and they are doing the same thing with the Jeep. if I want to buy a Chrysler I will, if I want to buy a Maserati, i want it to be 100% made in Italy by Maserati/Ferrari bumper to bumper!!

Alfa Romeo and Maserati SUV to use Jeep platform and Ferrari power?
      Chrysler and Fiat boss, Sergio Marchionne, has hinted plans to use the Jeep Grand Cherokee platform as a base for upcoming Maserati and Alfa Romeo SUVs. Reports say, for the first time, an off-road vehicle from the two companies could be on the road within two years.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee platform was developed by Mercedes-Benz and parts of it are shared with the GL-Class. It's been noted as having a certain "solidity and resilience" about it, that Sergio Marchionne previously underestimated.

An Alfa Romeo spokesman said just yesterday the Jeep Grand Cherokee platform could be used as a base for an upcoming Alfa SUV, which would expand the model lineup.

Meanwhile, a Maserati spokesman has said in recent times a project is in the works and could hit the market in as little as one year from now.

Marchionne has also said the Maserati 4.2-litre and 4.7-litre V8 engines assembled by Ferrari could also be a viable means to power the Jeep chassis. He says the chassis can handle more powerful engines than what Jeep offers.
      Last edited by Elie; 30 November 2010, 23:31.

Comment

Brian: Volt is an outgrowth of the 90's EV-1 project and was started in 2006/07, then Bush initiated the GM bailout in 2008 - both while Obama was a no-show-for-votes Senator from Illinois.

Elie: the new Grand Cherokee platform is a great choice for Fiat to base SUV's on. The frame was redone to be >150% stiffer and reports are it's a helluva vehicle. Then there is Chrysler's new Pentastar V-6, a DOHC 24 valve unit which looks to be as modern as they come given it cost >$2B to develop. Single and dual turbocharged models arrive in 2014. I'd hold fire a bit.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 December 2010, 11:05.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Holding

Comment

One more Chrysler tidbit: they're bringing out an all-new Viper in 2013 - chassis, body and engine. It's unknown if that engine will be a hopped up twin-turbo Pentastar, but if it is it'll run almost 500 hp (standard one will be 420 hp).

Also; Chrysler & Fiat will be sharing the Pentastars with Daimler.

What it'll share with the old one is a long-hood classic sports car layout, but contrary to previous rumors it won't be based on the new Lotus Europa or a Ferrari/Maserati product.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 December 2010, 11:24.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The only problem the viper had against it is the handling was extremely poor. No weight on the back end and TONS of HP and torque made it literally undrivable on curvy roads.

Hope they fix that.
              Last edited by Elie; 2 December 2010, 15:17.

Comment

Local little birdies say the weight distribution will be fixed, the suspension will be Italian- derived and include stability control. If true it should be a wild ride with that much HP.

BTW: local papers are reporting that GM will have to double or triple their Volt production.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 December 2010, 22:11.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Great news that the Viper will leverage Italian parts and the weight distribution will be fixed!

Good on GM too!

Comment

Working...
                  X