Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAID and AWARD/Pheonix bios users..READ!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID and AWARD/Pheonix bios users..READ!

Nick Hail gives us some IMPORTANT info for you RAID fans that wanna get some of the GeForce action in your case. Seems there is a bit of a problem. Here is the entire mail.

Hey Kyle thought you might like this info.

I have found a bug between the 3D Prophet DDR vid card (possibly other nvidia cards) and the promise fasttrak 66 raid cards. They can't co-exist in the same system. The system can never see the fasttrak bios and it will never find the raid array. I am getting the same problem with a Diamond Stealth 540 vid card also. Apparently it has something to do with this combination and the award and or phoenix bios. I am having to run an ancient matrox mystique on my web surfing machine. See the attached explanation from the tech at promise:

Hi, Things are going along. Nvidia has reproduced problem and so have we. Problem might be common to most Award and Phoenix BIOS's. The combo works in OEM machines such as Hp and Gateway. This will take some time and I have no time frame. I will get some info this week when I meet with engineering.

Billy Harrison
    Technical Support Supervisor
    Promise Technologies Inc,. http://www.promise.com
    billyh@promise.com
    408-452-1180
    "The IDE of Raid"

------------------
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

One of the many reasons that I didn't pursue IDE RAID was that it was a new and unproven product (only saw Promise producing these last year). I would recommend anyone interested in RAID to look at Mylex SCSI RAID controllers (now owned by IBM, previously Buslogic). IDE RAID is attractive because it can use less expensive drives, but as you have found, there are risks. I perfer reliability and a proven track record.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 24 February 2000).]
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Hey that's not a problem, that a feature.

Just stick to Matrox cards and you're all set to do the IDE RAID shufle!

Mark F.

------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
      and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
      --------------------------------------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
      and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
      X