Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any info on newer Athlon platforms (post 1st gen motherbords)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info on newer Athlon platforms (post 1st gen motherbords)?

Since I was not yet able to get my G400MAX to run stable on the Athlon platform I was wondering if any one had any info on using a G400MAX on the newer Athlon platforms?

Such as the kx133 chipset and perhaps the MSI K7pro?
    I know this is quite early - but i am desperate!

Since I only have two options.
    1. change my platform
    2. change my sceencard to gforce or tnt2 with detonator drivers.

I have read some posts on amdzone stating that the k7pro is able to muster 2xagp.
    Quite different to the 1st gen Athlon boards.
    I am almost convinced that changing my mobo would solve my probs.
    And since there is no way on earth i am giving my G400MAX up for a gforce I would really like to get some input on the K7Pro or KX133 chipset?

Tnx
    You all may think this is not important.
    BUT IT IS AMATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!

OK, Greebe have at it

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 13 February 2000).]
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

G7, as from what you've mention thus far you obviously have tried the only one I've been reccommending... the MSI 6167.

I know personally that Wombat has a new one as do I (older version) and a few others around here. There are truely no problems with it running a G400.

I'd reccommend using the MSI K7Pro... seeing what a true good SlotA MB they have produced so far.

If you care to post up your previous experience/problems, with full detials I'll do my best to address it.

------------------
      Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.
      Anyone up for an Athlon800+? Email me (epc@netdirect.net) for more information

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency w/ active cooling
      CPUmark99 75
      FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41, Athlon@850mHz

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

My mobo is Magic-pro using Chipset similar to Gigabyte. It works very well with my G400 with 2XAGP enabled. This mobo is not available widely and is produced in Taiwan.
        I think this is really a good mobo with good driver/bios support.
        Web: www.magic-pro.com, written in Chinese of course though the manual has english version only.

Comment

Thanx anyway Greebe.
          But i had a topic in Matrox Hardware where i got alot of help but to no avail.
          I have really tried everything and tested everything.

It IS the Atlon motherboard G400 combo that is screwing me however.
          Ive tried the G7ix ,FIC SD11 and the K7M and found the k7m to be the most stable.
          The G400 is however workin flawlessly on a Celeron and K6-2 platform.

I still have to run the force agp 2x hack each time i boot to prevent the plaid screen of death at the next boot.

Well i'm off to buy a K7Pro and a 650 Athlon
          quite nice when coming from a 550 hey?
          Hope it works
          Wish me luck

Comment

G7... that performance of mine is out of an OEM Athlon 500!

Oliver, glad to hear your not running into problems ... I'd never risk it buying a no name MB.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

G7, forgot to mention that even the original MSI 6167's will do agp2x with sidebanding without any troubles at all!

Comment

Most problems with Athlon's are people trying to cut corners with cheap components eg. RAM that's a NO NO in a state of the art arcitechture as the K7.

I'm currently on a K7M with an Athlon500@550 with PC100 Cas2 RAM, Seventeam 300W PS.

I previsouly had a Matrox Mystique coupled with a Voodoo2, never had a problem, although I've heard countless people having problem with getting V2's to work.

Currently I'm running the system with a g400MAX everything's been rock solid since day one, never had to use some stupid registry hacks to get AGP 2X working and all the drivers I've used have worked just fine.

So my advice to people having trouble with Athlon systems, DON'T CUT CORNERS, of course this goes for anyone building a system regardless of chip manufacturer.

Comment

I am using Mushkin with Siemens infineon pc133 222 and I was promised by Muskin that it was the best choice for an Athlon platform so no prob there.

I really think it is an power problem.
                  My psu is a Sparkle power something gt and it is AMD approved so no prob there.
                  Strangely enough it seems to me that only high powered screencards do this.
                  I tested a nVidia vanta reference board and it was fine,
                  A powercolor Savage 4 and it was fine.
                  Various 2Mb pci's and it was fine.

This was all with AGP cards running at 2x.
                  But the moment i go to a G400MAX or a Geforce DDR i get alot of headaches.
                  So underclock the screencard and it works in 2x.
                  But i do not know how to underclock the G400MAX - and it would be quite like defying the whole cause - i mean i boaght a MAX to have a MAX not a lower clocked card - other wise i could have saved some money by buying the g400 32Mb.

Further more none of my internal hardware is the cheapest around
                  I have IBM drives - brand new.
                  A HP9110 CD rewriter and a Xitel storm platinum sound card.
                  I also have more than enough cooling in my case and at the right configuration so that is not my prob.

I really believe if i use something like the Voodoo 5 or Canopus gforce with the external power supply connector it would work.
                  Lets face it either the 750 supplys too little power to the AGP or the motherboard's are sub power providing.

Take your pick - but i know what i choose.

Any comments?
                  please i am still wanting a solution.

Comment

G7, sorry that my answers aren't what your looking for, nor are they resolving your specific promblem(s). IMHO your problems are strictly due to the use of the Asus K7M and that's it. The Fic, Gigabyte, BCM/GVC, have problems with stability with certain mem (but not all of them).
                    On the other hand the MSI lends itself to being the most stable of all SlotA's out. It doesn't need the much hyped ultra high quality ram that many have infered as neccessary. I know this for a fact.
                    Also I wouldn't be posting any information on how to resolve these issues if there wasn't a reason for it. I like testing products so others know what is good and what's not. The only reason for doing this is because I know how frustrating "evil" hardware can be and how much a pain in the a** it is to trouble shoot, so my commentary is only to spare others of potential frustration.

I truely believe (always have) in the best "bang for the buck" systems. Cutting corners only when it won't destablize. Nothing is worse than a poorly configured, ill acting system IMO.

------------------
                    Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.
                    Anyone up for an Athlon800+? Email me (epc@netdirect.net) for more information

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency w/ active cooling
                    CPUmark99 75
                    FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41, Athlon@850mHz

Comment

Yes in a sense i agree with you
                      But i also tested everything with the G7ix and exactly the same stability issues in fact it was a bit more instable.

So what do i do?
                      I sell my k7m and 550 Athlon for a MSI K7Pro and a 650.

Any outcome i would be happier
                      Thanx anyway everybody
                      I give you a tumb's up for your ideas and inputs.
                      Now wish me luck sothat i get the 110clockgen.
                      I am buying from Altima2000 and they have the one without audio wich is nice - they also say it is the most stable board they have seen - and since they are prepared to sell it with a Gefarce - erm sorry Guillemot 3D profet DDR Geforce i guess that tells you something about the board right?

I will post my results soon
                      hold your fingers please

Comment

I've just bought myself an MSI K7 Pro (MS-6195). Excellent so far.

-----------------------
                        MSI K7Pro (MS-6195) Motherboard
                        Athlon 550 @ 800MHz (I want more)
                        256MB PC-133 Micron RAM
                        Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead MAX
                        + some other nice bits.....

[This message has been edited by RoGuE (edited 19 February 2000).]

Comment

Hmmmmm

I would advise against buying the first non reference Kx 133 board.
                          I mean you have seen it before and you will see it again no doubt.

Later revisions work better.
                          Any way after the first one it would only get better as other companies improve on the desighn.
                          And will you be content knowing you could have gotten 20% more performance by waiting just a few months?
                          AKA super bypass

K7M ver 1,0 had probs 1,04 made it better etc etc.
                          Will they replace the board with a newer version - if yes by all means go for it.

Besides y is it released so early compared to the other Kx133 boards - companies are only now beginning to anounce that they will produce mobo's based on the kx133.

Personally i would wait - that is why i did not wait for the kx133 in the first place.
                          A wait is followed by yet another wait
                          hehehe

It may sound silly hey?
                          But that is in fact my 2c.

A bit off the topic:
                          Since Matrox offers mail in rebates on products and if they do on the G400 when you buy a next gen aka G450/G800 would it be available for people in South Africa?
                          Do you not get 256Mb in un registered dims?
                          that is strange.

Comment

Hope your not expecting a ver. 110 specifically. I have a contact there and they claim that 97% of all K7Pro's being shipped by MSI are ver. 64's! That means you won't be able to change the fsb in 1 mHz steps like the 110. Also have a contact at Atacom and they have the same problem... but added that MSI hasn't completely debugged the 110 version so that's why they are so hard to find.

[This message has been edited by Greebe (edited 19 February 2000).]

Comment

Slightly off-topic, but currently I am unable to get my K7Pro to register any Athlon speed > 800MHz. e.g, if I set my Athlon to 850MHz, the BIOS identifies it as 800. Anyone else come accross this, or have a solution?

Comment

Working...
                              X