G200 in servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 in servers

I'm currently working on some HP ML150 G5 (Core2 based dual Xeon server) which has G200w 8MB. Also lots of Supermicro server boards with integrated graphics (from mini ITX to full ATX) have integrated G200.

Interesting - G200 is 12 years old now and they're still making it.

I seriously doubt they're still making it.

Probably old stock that's been sittin on their shelf for years, and they're sellin really cheap....
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

They are, it's onboard integrated. Usually these servers used Ati Rage or S3 - usually servers use something really old (stable drivers) and low power. Might be that either AMD isn't making Rages anymore or Intel doesn't like AMD graphics with their server chipsets.

LOL this is probably the Matrox Fusion that was intended for laptops
      Attached Files
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 14 November 2010, 17:19.

Comment

All the Dell 11G servers use G200e graphics. The "e" is for ServerEngines. It's not on their site, but it's a low power OEM integrated device for servers that is rather popular these days.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It isn't even detected by Matrox drivers although lattest unified drivers still have entries for G200. HP didn't have drivers for 2008 R2, so I tried Matrox drivers first, then I found HP has drivers for 2008 R1.

Comment

Here is Dell's 64-bit driver. Should work for your HP servers as well.

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Here is one of our HP DL180 G5s with the same video card (see attached image below).

And here is the other one. It runs linux:

login as: root
              Access denied
              root@##.##.##.#'s password:
              Last login: Wed Nov 17 14:07:08 2010 from my pc
              [root@trbackup ~]# lspci | grep G200
              09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200e [Pilot] ServerEngines (SEP1) (rev 02)
              [root@xxxxxxxx ~]#
              We also have two HP DL380 G6 servers, but they have ATI ES1000 graphic chips
              Attached Files
              Last edited by cjolley; 17 November 2010, 12:45.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

I checked and current IBM, Dell, HP, Supermicro servers all have G200s. Matrox is probably at 2-3% marketshare by now

cjolley - my condolences for using McAfee

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                  cjolley - my condolences for using McAfee
                  Funny you should say that, we switched that server from McAfee to FortiClient about the time you were posting that comment

Doing the whole place ~800 PCs and 60 servers over the course of the next month or so.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

At our university, we were running eTrust. When a computer got infected, it turned out it had many issues updating and most installs were months out of date... It also ate a huge amount of resources...
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The G200e(w) is part of the Nuvotel IPMI BMC chip. The newcomer is being used quite a bit by Dell, IBM, SuperMicro, and Tyan are using the chip as an IPMI Solution. Drivers are available Here.

I have one in my iSCSI server (and very soon, in my SmoothWall): the Super Micro X7SPA-HF; the Primary Network port on the motherboard is slaved to the IPMI Chip; there is a discrete MAC and IP address for the IPMI Chip. My initial experience of the Nuvotel chip was less then complimentary: it was slow and buggy. However, shortly after getting the board, I saw there was a new firmware for the chip.

Once the firmware on the Nuvotel chip was updated, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I have years of experience using AMI, DRACs, HP iLOs, etc, but these were all outperformed by the Nuvotel. This little chip is amazing; it provides Remote USB Floppy, Remote DVD-ROM (up to 4.7GB) and USB Keyboard/Mouse Support. BIOS-level editing through the IPMI chip is quick and easy; as a bonus, on this particular motherboard, the secondary NIC can be configured as an iSCSI initiator HBA.

I will probably never need to plug a keyboard, mouse or monitor into this machine because of this. Not that I'm complaining in the least.
                      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
                      X