George "Sparky" Anderson dies @76

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George "Sparky" Anderson dies @76

Former Cincinnati Reds and Detroit Tigers Hall of Fame manager Sparky Anderson is in hospice care in California for dementia. I met Sparky several times before games and at charity events around town, and he was ever so gracious, and always had time for kids to get autographs. A total class act that Detroiters love to this day.

Can't be long
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Dead at 76....

Hall of Fame Tigers manager Sparky Anderson dead at 76

Detroit— Sparky Anderson never lost his sense of humor — especially about himself. Told once that he was "one of a kind," Anderson replied: "You know what? That's good. The world couldn't take two of me."

Now, sadly there isn't even one of him.

Anderson, the Hall of Fame manager who won a World Series with the 1984 Tigers and helped keep the team competitive for most of his 17 years in Detroit, died today. He was 76 Family spokesman Dan Ewald says Anderson died from complications from dementia.

Survivors include wife Carol, sons Lee and Albert, and daughter Shriley Englebrecht.

With Anderson's passing, baseball — not just Detroit — has lost one of his most colorful figures. Not to mention one of its best managers.

Anderson was the first manager to win World Series in both leagues — victorious with the "Big Red Machine" in Cincinnati, then with the Tigers.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
    X