X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uhhhh....ouch

It's a car-kebab

Link....

A lucky driver escaped becoming a human kebab after a motorway guardrail impaled his vehicle.

Andy Dangerfield, 21, careered off Interstate 90 highway after falling asleep.

He collided head-on with the rail which penetrated through the engine block of his Chevy Suburban and exited through the rear window - missing his body by inches.

A Montana Highway Patrol trooper estimated 30 yards of guardrail passed through the passenger side of the vehicle leaving a twisted trail of metal on the road behind.

According to Montana Highway Patrol Sgt. Jason Hildenstab it was lucky the motorist was driving alone as the guardrail pierced through the passenger seat.

"If he had a passenger with him, it would have killed him," Hildenstab said.

Driver Andy Dangerfield, of Pullman, Wash., told the trooper he had left home early that morning on his way to Idaho. About 11:30 am he began to get tired and believes he must have fallen asleep.

According to Sgt. Hildenstab the driver was left shaken but unhurt by the accident. He said: "He was walking around like a ghost when I got to the scene."

Passerby Sam Ingram snapped these pictures after coming across the Sept 2 incident. He explained: "I assisted at this accident north of Deer Lodge on I-90.

"The driver was a guy heading east to College. He had left central Washington early in the morning, but fell asleep at the wheel and drifted off the shoulder hitting the end of the section of guard rail.

"The guard rail came through the right headlight, engine compartment, firewall, glove box, passenger seat, rear seat and exited out the driver's side rear window.

"This was one very lucky kid. God was definitely looking out for him."

Sgt. Hildenstab said of the driver, who was cited with careless driving, "He didn't even have a scratch on him."A lucky driver escaped becoming a human kebab after a motorway guardrail impaled his vehicle.

Andy Dangerfield, 21, careered off Interstate 90 highway after falling asleep.

He collided head-on with the rail which penetrated through the engine block of his Chevy Suburban and exited through the rear window - missing his body by inches.

A Montana Highway Patrol trooper estimated 30 yards of guardrail passed through the passenger side of the vehicle leaving a twisted trail of metal on the road behind.

According to Montana Highway Patrol Sgt. Jason Hildenstab it was lucky the motorist was driving alone as the guardrail pierced through the passenger seat.

"If he had a passenger with him, it would have killed him," Hildenstab said.

Driver Andy Dangerfield, of Pullman, Wash., told the trooper he had left home early that morning on his way to Idaho. About 11:30 am he began to get tired and believes he must have fallen asleep.

According to Sgt. Hildenstab the driver was left shaken but unhurt by the accident. He said: "He was walking around like a ghost when I got to the scene."

Passerby Sam Ingram snapped these pictures after coming across the Sept 2 incident. He explained: "I assisted at this accident north of Deer Lodge on I-90.

"The driver was a guy heading east to College. He had left central Washington early in the morning, but fell asleep at the wheel and drifted off the shoulder hitting the end of the section of guard rail.

"The guard rail came through the right headlight, engine compartment, firewall, glove box, passenger seat, rear seat and exited out the driver's side rear window.

"This was one very lucky kid. God was definitely looking out for him."

Sgt. Hildenstab said of the driver, who was cited with careless driving, "He didn't even have a scratch on him."
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

And there I thought the guard rail was supposed to keep you on the road, rather than impaling you..
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Well, the car stayed on the road...

I surprises me to see how far the car travelled... I would guess the initial blow, plus the different supports would slow down the car much faster...
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

the guy was probably speeding when he "fell asleep".
        /meow
        Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
        Asus Striker ][
        8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
        Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

This pic went around the dealership I work at earlier last week.

This guy had to be haulin arse to plow down that many 6x6 or 8x8 posts.
          Or the guard rail was built with really bad posts.

Either way, he's lucky to be alive, and didn't kill any passengers...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

What I don't understand is how it got started into the car.
            They are almost always curved down at the end or something aren't they?
            This this "guard rail" just dead ended into the direction of traffic?

BTW Becky's parents fell asleep at the wheel on the highway once and almost sawed their car in half on a guard rail.
            OTOH, it did keep them from leaving the roadway.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
            X