Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superman: Man of Steel (2013) ('Change' poster)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superman: Man of Steel (2013) ('Change' poster)

Superman: Man of Steel

When: 2012

Director: Zach Snyder (Watchmen, 300, Dawn of the Dead; coming - Xerxes, Sucker Punch)

Producers: Christopher Nolan (Batman series, Momento, The Prestige); Emma Thomas (all C. Nolan projects)

Writer: David S. Goyer (Batman series, Blade series, Dark City)

Synopsis: Likely darker than what we're used to. Said to follow some of the themes of the Superman: Birthright graphic novels:

A freelance Clark Kent ponders if he wants to become Superman, arrives in Metropolis to take the mantle at the Daily Planet then encounters corrupt billionaire Lex Luthor. Just as this gets interesting Brainiac arrives in his spaceship and things really go to hell.

These themes were also explored in a 2-part Superman: Animated Series story.

Cast-

Clark Kent/Kal-El/Superman: Henry Cavill

Henry Cavill in Immortals
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 June 2011, 12:48.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I really hope they make it a dark beginning to Superman. The last one was let's say too...basic?

Comment

Recent news -

Hans Zimmer will be doing the score, NOT based on John Williams material.

Rumors are his origin will be addressed but quickly, in the manner used in Star Trek and Watchmen - before the main titles. Could be to insert Brainiac's origin.

Zack Snyder has the completed script, and the Nolans say it explores territory they couldn't believe Warner hadn't done before. Given their instincts with Batman this could be interesting.

Thomas Tull, head of Legendary Pictures, says he wants to evoke Superman as an "angry God" against a "powerful antagonist." If they go in that direction Mr. Boy Scout's gonna have a super-tantrum
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 December 2010, 16:01.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Update: the title will NOT be Superman: Man of Steel. What it will be is unknown.

Casting targets: the studio makes a top-10 list for each role, and these are the top two for known parts. Yes, Luthor is in it but not as the main villain. Rumors still indicate Brainiac.

Lois Lane: Anne Hathaway (Havoc, Devil Wears Prada); Emily Blunt (Wolfman, Young Victoria, Devil Wears Prada)

Lex Luthor: Daniel Day Lewis (too many to list); Timothy Olyphant (Justified, Deadwood)

Hathaway & Blunt -

Day Lewis & Olyphant bald -
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 December 2010, 19:46.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Timothy Olyphant couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.
          He was perfectly crap in both Die Hard 4 and Hitman.

DDL on the other hand is usually amazing. Gangs of New York comes to mind.
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Agreed that DDL is the best choice - he could really put an edge on Lex Luthor that only Kevin Spacy has approached so far. I can see him eating some scenery

Olyphant was a walking rock earlier in his career, especially in Hit Man, but his acting has improved in FX's Justified TV series (based partly on Elmore Leonard's Fire in the Hole). Quite gritty in fact.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 December 2010, 09:09.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
              Agreed that DDL is the best choice - he could really put an edge on Lex Luthor that only Kevin Spacy has approached so far. I can see him eating some scenery

Olyphant was a walking rock earlier in his career, especially in Hit Man, but his acting has improved in FX's Justified TV series (based partly on Elmore Leonard's Fire in the Hole). Quite gritty in fact.
              He's like Keanu Reeves, stiff as a board is most roles but well suited for others. Olyphant is great in Justified, I just wouldn't want him to play Lex. DDL would be far better.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Speaking of Reeves, "In January 2009, it was revealed that Reeves will star in the live-action film adaptation of the anime series Cowboy Bebop..."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Ageed on Olyphant - Luthor requires more depth depth - a complex character if done correctly.

Reeves?!!? In Cowboy Bebop???!!!???

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

They're casting a female lead that is NOT Lois Lane.

Those at the top of the list include Alice Eve, Diane Kruger and Rosamund Pike - all stacked blonds between 5' 5' & 5' 9".

I can only think of 2 characters that would fit as-is, 3 with hair dye;

Linda Lee Danvers/Kara Zor-El/Supergirl
                    Lana Lang (dye hair red or auburn)
                    Catherine "Cat" Grant (Daily Planet gossip columnist)

Alice Eve

Diane Kruger

Rosamund Pike
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 February 2011, 23:41.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Diane Lane is confirmed as Martha Kent. An Oscar Nominated hottie

IMDB has removed the "(rumored)" from Kevin Costner's entry as Jonathan Kent, and has Superman: Man of Steel listed on his page - again with no reservation. Latino Review has great inside sources and reported the same on 2/21/11.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 March 2011, 02:20.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Lois Lane has been cast, and it was someone not on the list Warner discussed earlier -

Lois Lane: 3-time Oscar nominee Amy Adams

LA Times....

“There was a big, giant search for Lois,” Snyder said. “For us it was a big thing and obviously a really important role. We did a lot of auditioning but we had this meeting with Amy Adams and after that I just felt she was perfect for it.”

Snyder declined to discuss the precise prominence of Lois in the story or any plot details about the film but he said the role is “a linchpin” to the project and that he considers it essential that Lois — an FDR-era creation – arrives on screen in 2012 with contemporary appeal and spirit.

“It goes back to what I’ve said about Superman and making him really understandable for today. What’s important to us is making him relevant and real and making him empathetic to today’s audience so that we understand the decisions he makes. That applies to Lois as well. She has to be in the same universe as him [in tone and substance].”
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 March 2011, 13:04.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

General Zod: Michael Shannon (The Iceman [coming], The Runaways, The Woodsman, Fitzcarraldo, Aguirre: The Wrath Of God)

An American born theatrical actor who also works London & does a lot of independent film productions, including several for Werner Herzog. A very, very skilled choice.

This year he plays the lead in The Iceman, a biography of mob hitman, serial killer - and family man, Richard Kuklinski.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 April 2011, 17:51.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

He also had a biggish part in "Boardwalk Empire".
                            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

And I forgot his Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination for Revolutionary Road (2008).
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X