X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UN appoints ET ambassador

Link....

UN 'to appoint space ambassador to greet alien visitors'

A space ambassador could be appointed by the United Nations to act as the first point of contact for aliens trying to communicate with Earth.

Mazlan Othman, a Malaysian astrophysicist, is set to be tasked with co-ordinating humanity’s response if and when extraterrestrials make contact.

Aliens who landed on earth and asked: “Take me to your leader” would be directed to Mrs Othman.

She will set out the details of her proposed new role at a Royal Society conference in Buckinghamshire next week.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Another $500 mil to set up yet another bloated UN department..
    paulw

Comment

Typical Daily Telegraph rubbish, distorted out of all recognition. Who reads such fantasy papers?
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Might want to cut The Telegraph some slack. Looks like it tracks back to the UK Space Agency - Link....

>
        During a talk Othman gave recently to fellow scientists, she said: “The continued search for extraterrestrial communication, by several entities, sustains the hope that some day humankind will receive signals from extraterrestrials.

"When we do, we should have in place a coordinated response that takes into account all the sensitivities related to the subject. The UN is a ready-made mechanism for such coordination.”

Professor Richard Crowther, an expert in space law and governance at the UK Space Agency and who leads British delegations to the UN on such matters, said: “Othman is absolutely the nearest thing we have to a ‘take me to your leader’ person.”
        >
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 September 2010, 06:49.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Are you sure it isn't a hoax that is spreading? The UKSA has nothing about this that I could find on their website nor in their publications. Also MOthman seems too twee to be true, especially as Othman has no Malaysian consonance from the msin ethnic groups.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Award winning journalism. Online portal of the Daily Dispatch and the Daily Dispatch Weekend Edition. The Eastern Cape's highest circulating daily newspaper.
            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I guess we're due for alien landing in 2012

Comment

Working...
              X